Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Bendix Disk Brake Manual....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: The Official Bendix Disk Brake Manual....

... was offered up today by the Northwest Avanti Chapter. This is a valuable brief on the Studebaker Factory Disk brakes.

Now online ..
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/Other...xdbmanual.html

Looking through the manual, I'd like to point your attention to page 10... As opposed to the Studebaker shop manual. The linings on the rear shoes appear to be equal length. The Studebaker Shop Manual shows a short shoe (secondary?) in the front and longer one at the rear. This has generated quite a few interesting theories regarding the factory application.
    In my opinion, the Stude manual is erroneous, as the type brake system used on the disk brake cars was a Non-Servo and that specification does NOT require a primary/secondary shoe. The brake shoes on a Non-servo system are equal length, since there's no advantage to the forward shoe.
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 03-15-2015, 06:51 PM. Reason: magnanimous find!
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

If you are referring to the photo on page 9, fig. 12 in the Avanti shop manual, it is showing the right rear brake. Evidenced by the position of the hand brake lever with the brake cable going forward.
    Figure 12 in the Bendix book is showing the left rear brake. Both photos show a correct installation with the short lining toward the rear.
    AL SORAN RACING

Comment

My point/opinion was.... on a non servo brake system, primary and secondary shoes have no operational advantage. Because both shoes are anchored at the bottom, the front shoe does most of the work on a forward stop and the rear on a reverse stop..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

For me, it ends the disagreement on the SIZE of the master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders--1 1/8 and 3/4 as designed.

Comment

Working...
        X