Dash light power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Dash light power

I wonder if one of you experts can help me with a lighting problem. I'm trying to get my dashboard lights working on my 52 Land Cruiser. The wireing diagram show the power being feed from one of the 4 aux contacts on the front of the switch. I have the switch out of the car and checked it for contaneuty(spelled wrong) between the power side of the breaker and the post and had nothing. I'll post a couple of pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I can make them work but I'd like to have it work correctly. Thanks
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    2005 Dodge Magnum
    1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Art,
    The dash lights work off the headlight switch when it is rolled to the left; rolled to the right works the dome/map lights. The dash lights are filtered through black lenses that only illuminate the phosphorescent paint on the numbers and needles. That paint is notorious for degradation over time. Are you sure your dash lights are not activating at all?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of rockne 10 until I read that the fuse didn't have continuity between the terminals.

BTW, when I bought my 50 Champion last summer I thought my dash lights weren't working. I pulled each socket and saw that each bulb was working fine, but yet the intruments weren't lighting up. The car was hardly touched in the 20 years since it was restored, and each night I drove the car the instruments got very slightly better. At least I could tell the bulbs were lighting. Then one day I left the car out in bright sunlight, and that really brought the gauges back to life. Now they light up fine.

Comment

I figured out how they are supposed to work but no wires were connected to the lugs on the switch. Is there supposed to be a wire that goes from the hot side of the breaker to the contacts for the dash lights? The diagram doesn't show it.
        sigpic
        2005 Dodge Magnum

Comment

The Instrument Lights are powered from the Head Light and Parking light "ON" output terminal, so there may have been a jumper wire from those Terms. to the Instrument Dimmer Rheostat and an "out wire" to the Instruments from there.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you, that's what I was thinking but wanted a second option. Thanks guys
            sigpic
            2005 Dodge Magnum

Comment

Working...
            X