Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove HAWK GT dash switches ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove HAWK GT dash switches ?

Seems it should be simple but I already have scratch marks from trying to loosen the
    durn nuts. The are circular with two small notches opposit one another. I tried using needle nose pliers but the switch shank won't let me get them at the right angle. Also tried small
    visegrips but not enough nut edge. Is this a special tool need? Also tried tapping the indent slot with a small scewdriver. Suggestions please.
    ...Dick

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

I made my own tool to remove the switches out of a piece of pipe by grinding down the end to leave two raised areas opposite each other that fit in the notches of the switches and than welded a piece of rod on top for a t-handle.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

There is a special tool, I have one that a friend made for me. It has two little tabs that fit in the slots. Eastwood tools sells one, but it's not really the right size.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54,758.75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I used a tool used to install fender mounted radio antennas. There are a couple of different sizes and one was just right.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Maybe one of those needle nose pliers that have the jaws bent almost ninety degrees?

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Electrical rigid conduit works really well. It is thin walled and can easily be filed down to provide the two tabs you need. When you get the piece filed down so the tabs are protruding, the piece can be persuaded (with a hammer) to obtain the proper distance between the tabs.

Parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

I have used nut drivers filed to form the prongs, and air chuck filed to prongs(wrench fits), and tubing filed to prongs, an old wrench filed to prongs. I have nearly a whole set now. Make sure the center hole is big enough and long enough. It just takes a few minutes to make and no more scratches.
              Rob

Comment

Thank you all, I was wishing for an easier solution than making the tool but
                that's where its at. The electrical conduit sounds like the place to start since
                I will have to hacksaw and grind the ends to form the tabs. I was going to use steel
                water pipe but that is too thick wall. Anyone know what this type of nut is called ?
                Thanks again.
                ...Dick Curtis

1950 Champion Starlight
                1963 Hawk GT
                Santa Barbara
                CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Don't ya know, that in South Bend, in a shed or barn someplace, there sits a dusty box just full of the sockets used to install these special nuts.

Comment

quote: Anyone know what this type of nut is called ?
                    I do, I do.
                    They are called GT Hawk Switch Nuts.[}][}][}]
                    Just couldn't help myself.[]
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                    X