Quest for Gas Gauge for 1963 Gran Turismo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Quest for Gas Gauge for 1963 Gran Turismo

Where have all the gas gauges gone? I am in need of a gas gauge for my 1963 GT Hawk, part number 1558766. So far no luck. While I would prefer NOS, at this point I would be happy to purchase a functioning used gauge. Surely there must a parts car out there with one. Does anyone know if that gauge is unique to Studebaker or if it interchanges with any other makes? Finally, if someone has already been down this path and it dead ends... is anyone aware of a suitable after-market gauge that can be made to work? I sure would appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by Foscop; 03-11-2015, 10:51 AM. Reason: Misspelled
    Fosco
    Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

I just sent you a PM
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

If you cannot find a functional OEM gauge, go to ebay or JC Whitney. Buy a Stewart-Warner ohm range, universal sender, and matching gauge, which will fit into the GT dash. For around $35, that will put you on the road with a modern gauge that works as good or better then the OEM, and give you plenty of time to keep an eye out for an OEM gauge some where down the line. You just might get to liking the aftermarket so well, you decide to leave it in place.

Comment

John Wolf Instruments has done excellent work for me in the past restoring OEM gauges but it has been a few years. Give them a call!

Russ Farris

http://www.antiqueinstrument.com/
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Ditto, I've used John Wolf multiple times, quick turn around and excellent work.

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
          John Wolf Instruments has done excellent work for me in the past restoring OEM gauges but it has been a few years. Give them a call!

Russ Farris

http://www.antiqueinstrument.com/

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Any '56-'64 Studebaker 'Hawk Type' fuel gauge will work fine in your '63.....If you want, you could even take the gauges apart and swap the dial faces around!!

Comment

I have 2 rebuilt chrome bezel Hawk fuel gauges and one rebuilt black bezel one.
              Rob

Comment

Working...
              X