Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Disc Brake upgrade

Fellow Stude owners,

I'm new to the world of Studebakers and proudly drive a 1961 Hawk which is a 100% original, numbers-matching survivor and I've come to the point of wanting to do a disc brake conversion on at least the front end. Wondering if the forum can give me some insights on what type of turnkey kits would be available for that conversion---or help me identify the individual components that I would need.

Thanks & regards,
    Jim K

Look up Turner brakes. Complete turnkey solution and on many Studebakers!
    Last edited by Bullet; 01-28-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

http://www.turnerbrake.com/index.html

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

Welcome to the forum Jim!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We would like to see pictures. These guys have given you good links for information. I used this kit on my 53 (same as your 61) and it's a easy job. You also want to look on Bob Johnstone's tech pages. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
          Welcome to the forum. We would like to see pictures. These guys have given you good links for information. I used this kit on my 53 (same as your 61) and it's a easy job. You also want to look on Bob Johnstone's tech pages. Good Luck
          Welcome, as you are new to the forum, this is the site that is referred to in the post. http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechoct2014p1.html

It is packed with Studebaker/Avanti info and how-to tech. We are lucky Bob has put this together, I refer to it frequently.

Bob

Comment

Has anyone ever Video tape the process???

Comment

While we did not video tape it, Brad Bez gave our local chapter a demo on an installation of a kit he was installing for a customer. To me, the hardest part was heating the spacer and putting it on. The only reason I deem that hard is I do not have a torch. If you have a torch or oven (and a wife that will not go off the deep end when you use her oven to heat a car part) , then even that is a breeze as long as you do not hold the heated part in your bear hand. After that everything went on quickly.

I was impressed with the kit.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The Chevy Camaro front disc brakes Avanti Motors used on their '84-'85 Studebaker framed models work excellent and use discs, rotors, and pads that can be found anywhere.....Nostalgic Motors still has the mounting brackets for this setup!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  The Chevy Camaro front disc brakes Avanti Motors used on their '84-'85 Studebaker framed models work excellent and use discs, rotors, and pads that can be found anywhere.....Nostalgic Motors still has the mounting brackets for this setup!
                  Just so there's no confusion, the Turner Brake conversion also uses off-the shelf discs, rotors, and pads that are readily available.
                  Dave Nevin
                  Corvallis, OR
                  1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                  Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Another place to go -
                    http://hotrodsandbrakes.com/Studebaker_Brake_Kits.html

I bought one of their kits to put on my 54 Conestoga (wagon). This kit is a copy of one of the very first kits made for the Stude. It uses Ford rotors and GM calipers, (similar to the Turner kit). But, it's a "much" lighter in weight, simpler bracket. Extra weight on the spring and shock isn't good for handling, shock and tire wear.
                    I have one of the original kits (that this one was copied from on my 59 Lark wagon. It's got MANY (90,000+) miles of trouble free braking on it.

The Hot Rods and Brakes kit bracket is much nicer than the original. Otherwise, it's all current store bought stuff that easy to replace as the years go by.

Mike

Comment

Welcome Jim:

I put the Turner conversion on my 61 Hawk and it was the best move I have made. Sure makes for good braking and straight stops.
                      Don Watson
                      61 Hawk

Comment

Will Turner disc brakes work on a '55 President State?
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                          Will Turner disc brakes work on a '55 President State?
                          Yes they will. However, wheels may need to be changed.
                          I'm not sure on the earlier rims and clearances.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ed, I had to source different rims for my 53 when I installed the Turner disc kit. I used mid 80s Ford Crown Vic wheels (and lug nuts)
                            Dave Nevin
                            Corvallis, OR
                            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I was very pleased with the Turner kit.The only thing that didn't work was the dust caps.Myer's Studebaker now has new ones that are the right length.

Comment

Working...
                              X