fuel injection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel injection.

I'd like to adapt chevy TPI to a 289 but am concerned about the tappet noise interfering with the knock sensor.

I really doubt that would be an issue. Surely there must be lots of folks running solid-lifter cams in TPI-equipped Chevies?

You might find the Megasquirt site of interest.

<http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html>

Not sure if this link is still good, but you can do a Web search. Megasquirt is a U-build it ECM that works with standard injectors and sensors, and is completely programmable. Worthwhile reading, anyhow.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I googled that link and did find a company that recommends not using a knock sensor at all because of so many confusing signals that aren't related to spark knock. And that's with a hydraulic cam. I've started modifying an edelbrock chevy performer manifold and I intend to weld aluminum wedges to it then cut out the ports after it's all welded together and machined. Then I'll see about cutting up a TPI manifold.

Comment

Would love to see more of this. Skip the knock sensor, use the right fuel and you'll have no problem. Have you posted this on the racing forum? racingstudebakers.com ?

Randy Wakefield

1955 President

"For the future that we wait..."

Comment

Let us know how your wedges turn out.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I googled that link and did find a company that recommends not using a knock sensor at all because of so many confusing signals that aren't related to spark knock. And that's with a hydraulic cam. I've started modifying an edelbrock chevy performer manifold and I intend to weld aluminum wedges to it then cut out the ports after it's all welded together and machined. Then I'll see about cutting up a TPI manifold.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I was going to say the same thing as Randy, knock sensors aren't mandatory for a fuel injection system and plenty of throttle body systems in the 80's didn't use them. Actually the sensors aren't part fuel system but rather the ignition system. However, all the computer controlled this and that these days blurrs the line between the two.

Comment

I took some pics of the wood mockup and picked up some aluminum today; 1 1/2" X 3" X 14"; to be sliced into two 15 degree sections. I don't know how to upload a pic to this forum. Also I couldn't get anywhere in racingstudebakers.com with my search for "fuel injection". I'm not making adapters; rather sections to be welded to intakes, like injection and tripowers.

Comment

[img0006][/img]

Comment

Comment

Your pic came through fine on the third try. Good job.
                    Welding the plates on will solve you a lot of problems with bolts and gaskets. Just make sure you do as much of the welding as possible on the engine, or in a fixture, or it will warp all over the pace.
                    On the racingstudebakers.com site there isn't a whole lot of fuel injection stuff going on right now, except for the Megasquirt programmable setup. I think the lack of injection talk has to do with supercharging. To do it right requires some serous mapping and to do that mechanically is complicated, and to do it electronically is even moreso. Adapting an existing setup is probably the best way, as all of the components can be incorporated.
                    Looks like an interesting project.
                    I have always been interested in making the tube adapters to run from the heads to the TPI body (or GM tubes), so a TPI throttle body setup could be bolted on.
                    But as time races on, even that system is considered old school nowadays
                    Keep us informed on your progress!
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I took some pics of the wood mockup and picked up some aluminum today; 1 1/2" X 3" X 14"; to be sliced into two 15 degree sections. I don't know how to upload a pic to this forum. Also I couldn't get anywhere in racingstudebakers.com with my search for "fuel injection". I'm not making adapters; rather sections to be welded to intakes, like injection and tripowers.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It took about two hours to slice the aluminum lengthwise at a 15 degree angle with my bandsaw. Not a perfect cut but that's the side that will be welded anyway. The smooth side is the gasket surface. I used the stude gasket to center the chevy ports over the stude ports. I'm ready to weld but that will have to wait til monday. Gotta wash up the 'Cudabaker for Huntington Beach. I'll bolt the wedges onto the heads with used gaskets installed and plenty of grease for a heat sink. Maybe fill the manifold ports with drywall mud. Then bore the ports on the mill

Comment

Working...
                      X