Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

(1950 Champion) American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall 670 R15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: (1950 Champion) American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall 670 R15

I took a look at the American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall's and I think it would look good on my 1950 Champion. The original size in Bias was 640 R15 but they do not make this size. Will the 670 R15 work or are they to big? I have 205 70 R15's with fake WW's on the car and they look a bit small to me.

Thanks
    Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's 50 Champion.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1746318

Name:	american-classic-bias-home3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1746317
    • Tread Width: 4.70
    • Section Width: 6.59
    • Overall Diameter: 28.24
    • Load Index: 93
    • Speed Rating: S
    • Max Load Capacity: 1450@35PSI
    • Rim Width: 4.50 - 6.00
    • Tube Type or Tubeless: Tubeless

Ron, did you see the soldier in the road at the rear of the Champ? He's wearing a helmet and has ammo belts criss crossed across his chest.

How accurate is the odometer? I'll have to check the radials on my 50 Champ, but I thought they were 205's and my odometer is accurate within 1%.

Comment

Are you running 205 70 R15 or 205 75 R15? I have 205 70 R15's on my car and they look a bit small. If the 670 R15 Bias look radials will work on the Champion and still keep the odometer accurate within reason I like this option as it gives the bias look with a radial ride. I believe this is one size up from the original 640 R15 bias that were on the car but to be honest I was not around back in the day of Bias tires. The sets that I have seen look higher than cars with radial tires on them to me.

Regards
      Ron

Comment

My radials are P205-75-R15. I didn't look at the brand, but I like the looks of the blackwalls at least as well as whitewalls.Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ P205-75-R15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1695499Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeChamp6.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1695500Click image for larger version

Name:	1950 Studebaker Champion Tudor.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1695501

Comment

I like the blackwall look and the wide white wall look as well. For some reason the the thin white walls do not do it for me on cars from the 50's.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            Ron, did you see the soldier in the road at the rear of the Champ? He's wearing a helmet and has ammo belts criss crossed across his chest.
            This is really cool!

Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1695509
            Carey
            Packard Hawk

Comment

I'm thinking of buying the exact same tires for the exact same car (1950 Champion) from Coker as Studebaker Ron. But will I need tubes or not? Has anybody gone with tubeless tires on the Champion Rim? How about Radial Tubeless without Tubes? Will the beads seal? Will radials overstress the rims? I hate to drop almost $1000.00 on tires unless I know they will work. Presently the car is still using bias plies with tubes, but they are rotten from age. Any input is appreciated.... Joe G.....
              Originally posted by Studebaker Ron View Post
              I took a look at the American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall's and I think it would look good on my 1950 Champion. The original size in Bias was 640 R15 but they do not make this size. Will the 670 R15 work or are they to big? I have 205 70 R15's with fake WW's on the car and they look a bit small to me.

Thanks
              Ron

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41254[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41253[/ATTACH]
              • Tread Width: 4.70
              • Section Width: 6.59
              • Overall Diameter: 28.24
              • Load Index: 93
              • Speed Rating: S
              • Max Load Capacity: 1450@35PSI
              • Rim Width: 4.50 - 6.00
              • Tube Type or Tubeless: Tubeless

Comment

My 50 Champ has radials mounted to the original rims with no tubes. The wheels have steel stems held in place with nuts, and haven't leaked a bit in the 10 months I've owned the car. See my first picture in #4.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dads Baby;901895]This is really cool!

Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1695509[/QUO

I did not see the Soldier until you pointed him out but this made the hairs on my arm stand up. Checked the original photo on my phone to be sure and the Soldier is in it. The original owner (Now deceased) was a WWII vet so maybe he was seeing his old girl off to a new home as this was taken at the time of purchase.

Ron

Comment

Ron, I clicked on your name and sent you an email, but it must not have gone through. I was wondering what color the 7 dots are on your glove box door emblem?

I was also wondering if you have a robe rail on the back of your front seat? Thanks, Tom

Comment

Ron, I know you want to get rid of those porta-walls as soon as you can. In the mean time, try this tip I learned decades ago from an experienced tire man when these things were common. He would almost deflate the tire, and use a big rubber hammer to beat those things into submission. Really...it works. You can pick up one of those orange plastic dead blow hammers at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Those hammers are good to have anyway.

You might have to inflate and deflate a few times, but, unless those wavy things have been stretched or damaged beyond recovery, you'll be surprised by the technique.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks John
                        I will give that a try

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          Ron, I clicked on your name and sent you an email, but it must not have gone through. I was wondering what color the 7 dots are on your glove box door emblem?

I was also wondering if you have a robe rail on the back of your front seat? Thanks, Tom
                          Hey Tom
                          I took a few photos for you. The dots have no color in them on my glove box door and my front seat does not have a rope rail on the back . Are my seats covered in original type material? I think the prior owner did the interior as it looks new.

Ron

Name:	Dash 1.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1695546Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash2.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1695547Click image for larger version

Name:	Door P.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1695548Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat 2.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1695549Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat1.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1695550

Comment

[QUOTE=Studebaker Ron;902372]
                            Originally posted by Dads Baby View Post
                            This is really cool!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41295[/ATTACH][/QUO

I did not see the Soldier until you pointed him out but this made the hairs on my arm stand up. Checked the original photo on my phone to be sure and the Soldier is in it. The original owner (Now deceased) was a WWII vet so maybe he was seeing his old girl off to a new home as this was taken at the time of purchase.

Ron
                            I love stuff like this!!!
                            Carey
                            Packard Hawk

Comment

Thanks Ron, your car looks in really nice condition. I think the dash isn't quite the right color and the seats don't look like an original pattern, but I'd leave them as they look good. I'll have to post a few pictures of my 50 Champ 2 door. I need to touch up the glove box door and the front of the ash tray, otherwise the dash looks good on mine. Someone restored mine about 20 years ago, and it looks like they went to Newman Altman in South Bend and bought every new part they could find for it. A few things aren't quite correct on mine, but I'm fixing them to be factory correct as I find the correct parts. I need to replace the modern plstic wire harness for the overdrive, with a cloth wire harness. I also need two rear arm rests.

I wanted a 4 door like your's because that's what my dad bought new in 1950, and that's the first car I remember riding in, but I really like my 2 door.

Comment

Working...
                              X