X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Originally posted by 32cruisin View Post
    If I can get this motor running and it s ok, I plan to put a Per Tronix kit in the distributor but would like to hear her run first. Any help appreciated. Thanks
    As far as installing a Pertronix kit will depend on what distributor you have. If it's a Delco window distributor your in good shape but if it's a Prestolite single point, then they don't make one for that. The only Prestolite model that Studebaker used was the dual point used in R series engines. I have a Pertronix in my 63 Hawk R-2 which came with the dual point Prestolite distributor.

Leave a comment:

• 32cruisin
    replied
    Thanks for the info everyone. Dennis

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    It doesn't matter in any case.
    Engine wise, the only thing that cares is the coil. So if you use a 6V coil, use a 6 volt battery. A 12 volt coil, a 12v battery. Starter wise, a 6v starter will live fine on 12v as long as you treat it with care (don't grind on a nonstarting engine).
    Positive and negitive grounds don't matter either, just treat the coil correctly.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• brian6373
    replied
    All Studebaker cars have been 12V neg ground since 1956. If your 259 is a 61, it's 12 volt.

Leave a comment:

• 32cruisin
    started a topic Ignition: Studebaker 259 engine

Studebaker 259 engine

Hello, I have a Studebaker 259 out of a 61 Lark in my 31 model 54 coupe. I bought the engine used and would like to run it to see if it's any good or not. If I understand correctly,this was a six volt set up and my guestion is to fire this engine with 12 volt,what needs to be done? Do I need the 12 volt coil for a six cylinder or eight cylinder, will the points and condenser hold up ? If I can get this motor running and it s ok, I plan to put a Per Tronix kit in the distributor but would like to hear her run first. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Working...
X