50 Champion shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: 50 Champion shocks

Does anyone have a cross for the shocks on the 50 Champion? My "new" toy has what looks like original shocks and they have almost no resistance when I pull or push them. I found a Monroe thats listed to fit but my local auto store does not carry Monroe. I found several Gaberals listed on ebay that say they fit 50 thru 56 but they also say they fit 50 Champion, Commander and Land Cruiser. I have not yet figured out how you would mount tubular shocks in place of the lever shocks. Anyway are the 50 thru 56 shocks interchangable? Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Generally speaking, 51 to 56 are interchangeable. Most of the parts books are wrong, as you can tell from the references to 1950.

My old NAPA book from 1957 lists 50 Champion front shocks as Briggs 5040-B. The rears are Briggs 876-B (50-53) or 18027-B (50-56), in NAPA's listings. There are no listings at all for the lever action shocks on the 17A.

NAPA seems to continue using the same numbering system, so maybe you could find some listing for 5040-B shocks in their newer catalogs.

Or you could go with some of the big Studebaker vendors who have already figured this out.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-14-2015, 08:49 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

According to a 1961 NAPA parts book standard and heavy duty rear shock absorbers for Studebaker passenger cars used the same number from 1950 to 1956. For the front there was no listing for the 1950 standard duty, but showed the heavy duty as fitting 1950 to 1956. Of course this would only apply to the 1950 Champion with airplane type shocks. It sounds like the later shocks will likely fit and function, but may not give the same ride characteristics as the original factory shocks. Unless you can find NOS shocks your options may be limited.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

There are people/companies that rebuild the lever action shock absorbers.

EDIT: Yours may just be low on fluid. Have you checked that?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

50 champ is not lever action, only the commander/LC were lever action in 50, the 50 champ were airplane type, the first studebaker to have airplane shocks on it
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
            50 champ is not lever action, only the commander/LC were lever action in 50, the 50 champ were airplane type, the first studebaker to have airplane shocks on it
            I replied about lever action shocks because of the original poster's comment about lever action shocks in his initial post; "I have not yet figured out how you would mount tubular shocks in place of the lever shocks."
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Go to Napa. They stock them for your champion.

Comment

My NAPA dealer does not stock shocks for the 50 champion. He said he can try to order them. Anyway, I have a set of Monroe 5751's comming from RockAuto.

My comment on the lever shocks was in responce to the ebay add stating the Monroe 5751 fit both the 50 champion and land cruiser. I suppose you could install airplane shocks on the land cruiser, only thing you would have to add is the lower mounting adapter. The top mount is the same as the champion. I have been thinking of trying some heavy duty airplane shocks on my land cruised to see how they work.
                sigpic
                Barn Find
                1950 Champion
                Before I started
                Jim Berry
                Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                X