No announcement yet.

1960 radio install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked my 60 parts car. Looking at the rear of the radio, just left of the heat sink is a vertical bracket held by 2 small screws, then the small "L" bracket bolts onto it & the other end bolts to the bottom area of the firewall (under the windshield area)
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you Warren. Is this attachment to the same point as the black brace bar running from the firewall to the dash?
      Here are pics of the radio I received with the car. Perhaps part of my problems are because I don't have a 1960 radio?

So, right, front, bottom, back. The only noticeable attachment point I see is that stud on the right. Now there are 2 small holes in the back, above the heat sink and towards the right, on either side of that wire. I'm not arguing, just trying to puzzle where things might attach....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark Radio Right.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1695400Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark Radio front.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1695401Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark Radio bottom.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1695402Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark radio back.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1695403

Comment

Leo, your pics didn't show up.

maybe any numbers found on the radio chassis could help the experts figure out if it is "correct" for your car.

and perhaps a trip to a "good" hardware store would find parts to fabricate what you need.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I know what you mean RadioRoy. Your link show some impressive designs, but I didn't see a price. It's getting difficult to even find anything with two shafts but they are out there. I don't want to alter the original radio since it still works. My car isn't going to be a daily driver ('61 Hawk btw) so I don't need to invest really big $ in it but I do want something with an aux input.

Comment

I just looked in my convertible, but could not see anything because the glove box is in the way.

My 60 radios on the bench have a bracket on the back with a bolt sticking out sideways. Attached to that is a bracket with a bend along a 45 degree line. That bracket bolts to something under the dash.

Helpful? Probably not. I need to get a camera.

Leo, what is the number on your radio? The orange tag will have an AC number on it.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Darn it. I've uploaded pix before, and I can see them when I go to edit the post.

Thanks for the rain Roy, happy to take some off your roof over there.

Comment

Roy, maybe the number on the top of the label says AC-2977 ?

Comment

AC-2977 is a manual tuning radio for a 60, so it is correct. I don't have a manual tuning one, but my push button ones have the brackets on the rear as I describe.

The radio must be braced at the rear.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

As my photos might have shown, it is a manual tuned Delco radio. I'll have to scrounge for a bracket. I haven't shaken our local club bushes, next meeting's Tuesday night.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

Michael J Hawk, such a thing exists, but the price makes most CASO's clutch their heart like Redd Fox on Stanford and Son.

http://tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/...tive_Home.html
                      Exactly..

Just because one drive a car from the 60's don't mean the price of parts are from the 60's...

See what it cost today for what $75 was in 1963 ===> http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....963&year2=2014

Comment

When gas was .40/gal.

Comment

I didn't have 75.00 for a radio in 1963. And I don't want to spend 580.00 on one now. I just bought one on ebay for 21.00 and going to stuff the guts of it behind Stude faceplate and adapt the original knobs to it. It has inputs for memory card and usb. Should do for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X