Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1960 Lark Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1960 Lark Starter

Will a 1960 Lark V8 standard transmission Delco starter fit my 1963 Avanti R2? I'm told pre-61 Delco starters generate as much torque as the R2 starter. My R2 starter needs work. Thanks.

So that means you have a 4 Speed Standard Trans. then right?
    If not, there is no way a 3 speed Manual will fit an Automatic with out changing the (Bendix) extension Housing, and the Armature and then what is left?

The OTHER problem is, we have not figured out yet what was different about the 4 Speed Prestolite Starter vs the 3 speed manual.
    This is not only a Jet Thrust/Avanti 4 Speed, issue as the Starter on all 4 speeds is reportedly DIFFERENT, but how?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      So that means you have a 4 Speed Standard Trans. then right?
      If not, there is no way a 3 speed Manual will fit an Automatic with out changing the (Bendix) extension Housing, and the Armature and then what is left?

The OTHER problem is, we have not figured out yet what was different about the 4 Speed Prestolite Starter vs the 3 speed manual.
      This is not only a Jet Thrust/Avanti 4 Speed, issue as the Starter on all 4 speeds is reportedly DIFFERENT, but how?
      Yes, I have a four speed transmission. Will the 1960 Lark V8 standard transmission Delco starter fit my Avanti?

Comment

Yes, it will fit. As to what little difference there is in torque generated by each I don't know the difference.

Comment

I do not think they will work for long.They fit but are to short.
          See
          https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...s/starter.html
          Robert Kapteyn
          Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-05-2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I have used starters, here in California.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
              I do not think they will work for long.They fit but are to short.
              See
              https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...s/starter.html
              Robert Kapteyn
              I have not experienced any problems in the past with using the same starter for every 12 volt application. My Cruiser in Australia was an auto that I converted to a 4 speed. If I use the same bell-housing and flywheel that was used for the 3 speed, using the spacer that was available for manual cars, why would it not work for very long?

Len

Comment

Tom, I would certainly try the '60 Lark V8 Delco Starter as long as it is as you say, a Std. Trans. unit.
                We know it is not "Correct" for this Car, but I think it is worth a try as it should work. Since we never figured out what is different B/T 3 and 4 Speed Starters, it may not be a big difference but no one is SURE.

See the latest on this, on Post #29 over here on the General:
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ers-were-there
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Tom, I would certainly try the '60 Lark V8 Delco Starter as long as it is as you say, a Std. Trans. unit.
                  We know it is not "Correct" for this Car, but I think it is worth a try as it should work. Since we never figured out what is different B/T 3 and 4 Speed Starters, it may not be a big difference but no one is SURE.

See the latest on this, on Post #29 over here on the General:
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ers-were-there
                  Hi Rich,
                  I'm in the process of buying the '60 Lark V8 std. starter. Here is a link I found that shows a 1/8" difference in the 3-speed and 4-speed starters.
                  Tom

Comment

OK, I received the rebuilt 1960 Lark V8 4-speed starter and the nose looks very much like that of the Prestolite 4-speed starter, being 2-1/8" long. It is shown here next to the MDY 71023 2U starter that came out of my 1963 R2 4-speed Avanti, which looks like it has the 3-speed nose, i.e. 2" long. The Avanti starter was too weak to turn the engine over briskly, so I'm hoping the rebuilt Delco starter will do a better job.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter noses 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1695858Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter noses 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1695859

Comment

I think it will fit, but doubt it will spin the higher compression Avanti engine any faster, I think the Avanti starter has different windings and the case is a slightly larger diameter, supposedly higher torque ratings. If it doesn't work, take apart the brush side of the Avanti starter, polish the commutator and check the brushes are still useable. If cleaning it doesn't work, send it out to a local electrical shop to check the windings. Before doing anything else, replace both the battery cables and the cable from the starter to the solenoid. Use the largest gage you can find, and make sure the ground side of the negative cable is attached to clean fresh iron. Also have the battery load tested. Just because a charger says it's fully charged, and a hygrometer says its fully charged doesn't mean it's good. Especially if it's a 63 with an 3E type battery--life span is 2 years max!! Ask me how I know!! Funny how a brand new 3E spun the engine like a fan, when the old one just got the solenoid to rattle. If you have a good 3E it was rated at 54 amp hours, 485 CA and 400CA at 0 degrees, but you only have a 35AMP alternator, it will never fully recharge the battery if you run it down cranking over the engine. Besides there is something about the 3E design verses the more common 27 and 24's that won't let them last as long, besides rarity, I'm sure that's one reason they changed in 64 to a "normal" battery.
                      Last edited by karterfred88; 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                        I think it will fit, but doubt it will spin the higher compression Avanti engine any faster, I think the Avanti starter has different windings and the case is a slightly larger diameter, supposedly higher torque ratings. If it doesn't work, take apart the brush side of the Avanti starter, polish the commutator and check the brushes are still useable. If cleaning it doesn't work, send it out to a local electrical shop to check the windings. Before doing anything else, replace both the battery cables and the cable from the starter to the solenoid. Use the largest gage you can find, and make sure the ground side of the negative cable is attached to clean fresh iron. Also have the battery load tested. Just because a charger says it's fully charged, and a hygrometer says its fully charged doesn't mean it's good. Especially if it's a 63 with an 3E type battery--life span is 2 years max!! Ask me how I know!! Funny how a brand new 3E spun the engine like a fan, when the old one just got the solenoid to rattle. If you have a good 3E it was rated at 54 amp hours, 485 CA and 400CA at 0 degrees, but you only have a 35AMP alternator, it will never fully recharge the battery if you run it down cranking over the engine. Besides there is something about the 3E design verses the more common 27 and 24's that won't let them last as long, besides rarity, I'm sure that's one reason they changed in 64 to a "normal" battery.
                        Thanks for the email. There was no battery in the car when I purchased it a couple of months ago, so there is a new 3E in there now. After I install the Lark starter, I plan to tear into the Avanti starter to see why it was so wimpy. As you suggest, I will replace the ground and positive cables.

Comment

Working...
                        X