1963 Avanti rear brake shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1963 Avanti rear brake shoes

In perusing ebay, I came across a pair of brake shoes for the front of a 1947-55 Kaiser. They are 11" X 2" and look very similar to the rear brakes on my 1963 Avanti. Checking the part number stamped into the steel part of the shoe reveals that both the Avanti and the Kaiser use part number 48154. The Kaiser part cross references to Wagner PAB53 and to Raybestos 53PG. These shoes also fit many Jeeps AND a 1961-63 Chevy K10, so they are readily available online and at your favorite parts store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1947-55 Kaiser Fraser.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1746251Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Rear Shoes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1746252

OH, oh! A NAPA search for PAB53 gives a wrong 9 inch shoe set part #PAB538R, NOTHING on Advance, or O'Reilly's.

I suppose a search for '63 Chevy Blazer K10 shoes might work, did they even BUILD them way back then?

Yeah go ahead and help putting the Studebaker Vendors that help you with the Parts no one else has, out of business.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Whoa! I am NOT interested in putting vendors out of business. In fact, I sent the same information to one of the vendors immediately after posting this ad.

Comment

Good for you Tom, thank you.

However I do not think they can be competitive reselling a Retailers Parts, because they already have a Wholesale Source at the Studebaker Wholesaler, who is buying larger quantities direct from the re-liner at Jobber price.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it were not for folks like Jon Myer we would all be in the toilet........this hobby would be dead without a renewable source of parts:-(
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          OH, oh! A NAPA search for PAB53 gives a wrong 9 inch shoe set part #PAB538R, NOTHING on Advance, or O'Reilly's.

I suppose a search for '63 Chevy Blazer K10 shoes might work, did they even BUILD them way back then?

Yeah go ahead and help putting the Studebaker Vendors that help you with the Parts no one else has, out of business.

Comment

They are a Wagner part, not made by Studebaker. There are other applications. The trick when buying from non Stude vendors is to know what parts work.
            Basically the only parts Studebaker specific are body and engine.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
              If it were not for folks like Jon Myer we would all be in the toilet........this hobby would be dead without a renewable source of parts:-(
              I'm all for buying from our various 'Studebaker Dedicated' vendors...but it's really being a bit silly to pretend there are no other parts sources out there.....Isn't it?

Comment

This brings up a sore point every time I read something like this or the tag CASO. I do take offense at that tag, CASO. The reason why is when I first bought a Studebaker I bought it for $250 and that took me a while to get even that much together. Some folks don't have wads of cash laying around but do like Studebakers. Putting someone down just because they don't have the money to buy dealer or "official" supplier prices is discrimination. I would not pay a dealer price for an oil change or spare parts if I could buy it, the same part, at a cheaper rate. How many of us go to the dealer for our newer cars for a part and pay the higher price. Some do and some don't. I have done my own work as much as I can so not to pay a mechanic the high price. Should I now take my car to a mechanic so as not to be a CASO? Pay the higher price for parts I can get cheaper just to keep someone else in business? What if I can't afford to keep someone else afloat while I sink? I don't think so. I am not a wealthy man and like to spend as little as I can to enjoy my hobby, not throw money at it. Even with my other cars if I can find a better than stock part for a cheaper price I'm on it.

One of the main reasons for part interchange is for those who drive their car many miles and find themselves broken down somewhere and need a part ASAP. Then knowing that a part that is used on another car makers model will fit can be a lifesaver. As far as I know many parts on a Studebaker were not manufactured by Studebaker so I am not doing Studebaker a disservice. I would like to help out all Studebaker vendors but I will not pay for what I can get at a lower price somewhere else. I do from time to time pay a higher price for an individual part when the combined total is lower.

Open and waiting for the barrage of comments.....

Len

Comment

I bought carb kits from 2 Studebaker Vendors and have't got all the small ring gaskets yet, is there any one else who has had that problem. Never had any problem on my other old stuff.( GM,Ford and Mopar).

Comment

Originally posted by kxet View Post
                    I bought carb kits from 2 Studebaker Vendors and have't got all the small ring gaskets yet, is there any one else who has had that problem. Never had any problem on my other old stuff.( GM,Ford and Mopar).
                    kxet, I've had the same problem. I use NOS kits to get the proper round (ring) gaskets and other small hard parts - and use the larger 'fresh' gaskets from the vendor kits. Even then, I've found poorly cut gaskets in the vendor kits that needed to be trimmed to work properly.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Only as a last resort, first attempts should be to secure parts from Stude vendors and even if parts can be secured local, I would still purchase from our Stude brethren, it's silly to pretend otherwise!!
                      Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I'm all for buying from our various 'Studebaker Dedicated' vendors...but it's really being a bit silly to pretend there are no other parts sources out there.....Isn't it?

Comment

Sky, I painfully remember not all that long ago when so many parts for my Stude Avanti were NLA!! Now because some Stude "nuts" stepped up to the plate and put down hard cash to have many long NLA parts re-made..to me, that is huge!!.....if these folks go away (and we all know who they are) go and get your parts at the local PEP Boys.......yea, where asking for a set of points is met with.......what do they look like sir??
                        Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                        This brings up a sore point every time I read something like this or the tag CASO. I do take offense at that tag, CASO. The reason why is when I first bought a Studebaker I bought it for $250 and that took me a while to get even that much together. Some folks don't have wads of cash laying around but do like Studebakers. Putting someone down just because they don't have the money to buy dealer or "official" supplier prices is discrimination. I would not pay a dealer price for an oil change or spare parts if I could buy it, the same part, at a cheaper rate. How many of us go to the dealer for our newer cars for a part and pay the higher price. Some do and some don't. I have done my own work as much as I can so not to pay a mechanic the high price. Should I now take my car to a mechanic so as not to be a CASO? Pay the higher price for parts I can get cheaper just to keep someone else in business? What if I can't afford to keep someone else afloat while I sink? I don't think so. I am not a wealthy man and like to spend as little as I can to enjoy my hobby, not throw money at it. Even with my other cars if I can find a better than stock part for a cheaper price I'm on it.

One of the main reasons for part interchange is for those who drive their car many miles and find themselves broken down somewhere and need a part ASAP. Then knowing that a part that is used on another car makers model will fit can be a lifesaver. As far as I know many parts on a Studebaker were not manufactured by Studebaker so I am not doing Studebaker a disservice. I would like to help out all Studebaker vendors but I will not pay for what I can get at a lower price somewhere else. I do from time to time pay a higher price for an individual part when the combined total is lower.

Open and waiting for the barrage of comments.....

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                          Sky, I painfully remember not all that long ago when so many parts for my Stude Avanti were NLA!! Now because some Stude "nuts" stepped up to the plate and put down hard cash to have many long NLA parts re-made..to me, that is huge!!.....if these folks go away (and we all know who they are) go and get your parts at the local PEP Boys.......yea, where asking for a set of points is met with.......what do they look like sir??
                          I always call Thibeault for Studebaker-Avanti parts, but you are, of course, selling PEP Boys/ Auto Zone /Advance Auto short as to what they stock, or can get overnight! (Been There-Done That!)

Comment

For a "modern" ride maybe, but 98% of the folks at these chain stores have no clue!......if it ain't in the computer they say it's not available!...I carry numerous spares for the Stude, and if I plan on some work I purchase in advance so I am not hassled! Now chew on this....one of my "peeps" owns an auto repair shop.....in business for 45 years......when he needs a part calls four different places, as there is always a problem with individuals possessing zero knowledge of what is in their own specific stores, or that which can be ordered:-(
                            Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            I always call Thibeault for Studebaker-Avanti parts, but you are, of course, selling PEP Boys/ Auto Zone /Advance Auto short as to what they stock, or can get overnight! (Been There-Done That!)

Comment

If one relies on non existant knowledge of the typical parts store, you're going to be sorely disappointed in the outcome. It is up to the customer /us/ unfortunately to know what we need, and what works.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X