Original Tire Size... '58 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Tire Size... '58 Commander

My car came with a 7.00x14, 7.50x14, and 8.00x14 tires on it when I got the car. I have since put some really ugly roller tires just to keep it rolling. I'm hoping to put the original size tires back on it in the next couple of months, but I have three questions regarding this.

What the heck was the original size tire for my car? (i'm betting the 7.00...)

How many inches tall was the optional white wall from the factory?

Which modern tire, or tire from coker for example, has the closest tread pattern or appearance of the original?

Thanks,

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

The tires were Firestone Deluxe Champion, so the exact copy "Coker" Firestone should be exact!

The white walls were not the ugly "gangster whitewall" super wide kind that go around the shoulder near the tread like a '40's or early '50's tire.

I'd say about 2 1/2 inches wide with a curb "rub strip" before the "shoulder" curves inboard to the tread.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks StudeRich!

I can't wait to get a new pair of shoes on this old dog. [^]

Chris Salisbury
      Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

Almost forgot to ask ya... what was the original size, if you know off hand? =)

Chris Salisbury
        Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Almost forgot to ask ya... what was the original size, if you know off hand? =)
          From Service Bulletin 329, September '57: All 58G- 6.40x15; 58W- 7.50x14; 58D, P, 58 Y-K, 58 L-K- 8.00x14

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I am pretty sure CJ, that the 7.50 X14 would be right if they still make a replacement for that size. But I did not want to say without documentation.

But now that we have it, and they left the late '58 1/2 B & H, -J model body off because it was issued before they came out, I am back to square one...my aging memory!

It does make sense though, the Hardtop is closer to the same size and weight of the W body, short wheelbase 4dr. sedan than the long wheelbase Y body and the D & P Wagons and C & K Hawks.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich

Comment

Yeah... I wasn't going to ask what all those letters meant (I still have no idea). I went to Coker and they offer the exact replica as you stated in the bias ply variety. They still offer it in a 7.50x14 too!

Chris Salisbury
              Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

7.50x14 was a very common size on GM cars of the late 50s and early 60s, so they'll be available for a long time.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I sure wouldn't put BIAS PLY tires on that thing. Not unless you are hoping to have it judged someday! Radials would make it SO much nicer to drive![^]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well you think i'd learn my lesson from the bias ply super swampers I have on my truck... in all their annoying, buzzing, flat spotted glory... but I really want to feel how the car was in 1958. Call me nostalgic I guess. Eventhough I was born in the 80's.

That's why I have a love hate relationship with modernized hot rods. They're beautiful as anything on the outside and they drive like a new car with alot of power, decent gas mileage, smooth, great stereos etc etc...

Where the heck is the fun in that? LOL.

This is a 1958 car and I want to atleast pretend that i'm in 1958 when I drive it, right down to the crumby AM radio and the crappy tires. Now Heaven forbid someone pull out in front of me and I have to slam on the ol' drum brakes. At that point i'd wish it was a "modernized hotrod" with discs. I guess that's what the big chrome bumper and horn is for! [)]

Chris Salisbury
                    Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

Chris; I can tell that you have never driven a '58 Commander with correctly working brakes!

Studebaker/Wagner DRUM BRAKES on all 1954 through 1960 V-8 models and Hawks to 1964, can stop with, and usually better than most makes! They WILL surprise you! [^]

Presidents and later 289 equipped cars even have finned drums that will fit your Commander! [:0]

quote:Now Heaven forbid someone pull out in front of me and I have to slam on the ol' drum brakes. At that point i'd wish it was a "modernized hotrod" with discs. I guess that's what the big chrome bumper and horn is for!
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich

Comment

I agree, but where discs really shine is after the third or fourth stop

That said all of the Studes that I've owned have been equipped with the finned drums, and I've had no issues. In fact, I drove the '55 around for a bit with the original smooth drums (no power!) and that was fine too, other than the rears tending to work a little better than the fronts - not sure if that ever resolved itself or not, as I haven't driven it much since swapping drivetrains.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

This is a 1958 car and I want to atleast pretend that i'm in 1958 when I drive it, right down to the crumby AM radio and the crappy tires.
                          Chris Salisbury
                          Hutto/Austin, TX

In 1958 there was something (in fact, plenty) to listen to on AM radio.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm sure there was outstanding music on AM back in '58... Unfortunately in my neck of the woods, the only thing on AM now is the Holy Spirit, the game (I don't care for athletics)... and some far right or far left winger blabbing about some nonsensical crap...

I'll just have to listen to some sweet 259 4bbl music. [8D]

Chris Salisbury
                            Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

The 1958 Studebaker Salesman's Data Book shows 7.50-14 tires standard and 6.70-15 tires optional for a 1958 Commander hardtop.

Correctly operating original drum brakes on your car work fine for normal driving.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X