Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

advance weights 4 prestolite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: advance weights 4 prestolite

Guys, bought a set of advance weight springs from S.I. shouldn't they both be the same size, one's almost twice the size as the other. The problem is that's what I found in the dizzy when i took it apart, I thought both should be the same size & figured someone lost one & installed the larger in it's place. I've seen drawings & both look to be the same size.
    if one should be larger is there any special orientation? Any input would be helpful. Sorry it's 4 a 64 289 Pete

I often see two different springs used in the same distributor. It never made sense to me either, but it is correct. I think I just figured it out. The weak spring will allow advance to a certain degree (maybe about 10-15 degrees) as soon as the engine fires up, then the heavy spring will allow more advance (graduated advance) as the engine increases speed.

Comment

All of the Prestolite distributors with the exception of an R2 distributor use 2 different springs. For stock V8's and R1 distributors, you should have all of the centrifugal advance in at about 2400 crankshaft rpm. Bud

Comment

Working...
      X