1959 Lark Deluxe interior questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Comet72 View Post
    Just wondering something else...from factory, is it supposed to be a washer under the spare-tire holds-down bolt? I've bought and just received the bolt today and was expecting for a washer but nothing...
    The parts book doesn't show one, but most cars I've seen have a G120395 washer, which is standard auto parts store (SAE, not USS) 7/16" flat washer. I'll throw a couple in with the wiper motor. The parts book does show a 1312816 "hold down spring" on all 59-61. I don't have one of those.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I believe the Flat washer and Bolt go through the Jack Base to hold the Tire & Wheel in place.
      The Original Spare Tire Cover (Hardboard) had two spring clips riveted on it the same distance apart as the outer edge of the Jack Base to slide over and lock onto the outer edges of the upside down Jack Base.

The Spring Skip mentioned, held the bumper bracket part of the Jack to the floor on a Eye in the floor on some models, but I think on a '59 Lark, the Jack may have been pinched between the floor and the Tire.

I think we are getting WAY to accurate for a simple thing like Trunk equipment that no one outside of the U.S. or born after 1950 would have a clue about anyway, but you did ask!

On another note, did you find out yet HOW early this Car may have been in the '59 Production?

I ask that because '59's were SUPPOSED to get the cheap plastic E-Brake handle that was superseded to a reinforced one with a wider steel core by 1961 or '62, and the earlier Cars would have been a Service Bulletin item to be replaced as they bent and broke.

But the replacement '62/'63 Handle was also Black Plastic and your Chrome one must be a '57/'58 piece, that I would guess was replaced with the nicer one by an owner, or Dealer, unless the Car was SO early like July/August, as to have a '58 Part.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-30-2015, 11:44 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I think we are getting WAY to accurate for a simple thing like Trunk equipment that no one outside of the U.S. or born after 1950 would have a clue about anyway, but you did ask!

Good point!
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          The parts book doesn't show one, but most cars I've seen have a G120395 washer, which is standard auto parts store (SAE, not USS) 7/16" flat washer. I'll throw a couple in with the wiper motor. The parts book does show a 1312816 "hold down spring" on all 59-61. I don't have one of those.
          Thank you so much!
          I already have the right jack hold down spring you're talking about, I was lucky enough to find it on E-Bay and buy it from this nice guy. He should have more than one of these, here's his ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1955-196...38d056&vxp=mtr

I believe the Flat washer and Bolt go through the Jack Base to hold the Tire & Wheel in place.
          The Original Spare Tire Cover (Hardboard) had two spring clips riveted on it the same distance apart as the outer edge of the Jack Base to slide over and lock onto the outer edges of the upside down Jack Base.

The Spring Skip mentioned, held the bumper bracket part of the Jack to the floor on a Eye in the floor on some models, but I think on a '59 Lark, the Jack may have been pinched between the floor and the Tire.

On another note, did you find out yet HOW early this Car may have been in the '59 Production?

I ask that because '59's were SUPPOSED to get the cheap plastic E-Brake handle that was superseded to a reinforced one with a wider steel core by 1961 or '62, and the earlier Cars would have been a Service Bulletin item to be replaced as they bent and broke.

But the replacement '62/'63 Handle was also Black Plastic and your Chrome one must be a '57/'58 piece, that I would guess was replaced with the nicer one by an owner, or Dealer, unless the Car was SO early like July/August, as to have a '58 Part.
          Really interesting infos, thanks! You confirm what I was thinking and I now have all the parts needed except for the washer and the spare tire cover, but I have some good pics from the cover, I can make mine.

My Lark also has a chrome parking brake handle that looks factory, at least it's really nicely installed. I'll take some close pics tomorrow. I also have the trunk floor eye and spring system to hold the jack.
          However I still can't say when my car went out of the lines, still waiting on the VIN report I've ordered from the South Bend Museum...it should come next week.

You're absolutely right, these look like pretty insignificant details but I'm such a perfectionist and I like my cars to be full stock, but I mean the real FULL stock.
          That's the best way to have a complete good working car, when I see all the crap that has been done to that car with mismatching parts everywhere...and this little Lark means so much to me that I've got to put it back as close as I can from its factory and period-correct look.

But I promise this was the last time I was asking such a dumb question, once the wipers will be repaired the very next thing to do will be driving it!

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Good point!
          Yes you're right, that's a bit too much but it works so good stock style! It's all about details.

Last part in the mail today:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02966.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1695252 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02970.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1695253 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02979.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1695254
          Heavily pitted, but original and still nice.

Comment

By what you mentioned it's quite possible the original broke and was replaced by the dealer with the stronger 58 style. I will look into that.

Len

Comment

Hey,

Here are the news:
              I have received and assembled the jack with the jack base Skips found me, the jack and its base fits perfectly and lift the car, fits great in the trunk compartment...but to me it's a Hawk jack. Any advices? To me the hook looks too long, it sometimes rips the paint of the rear body valance if you don't position it carefully...so that's not perfection but anyway much better than the GM-crappy jack I had before...and it will do its job great...until I'll buy a third, REAL, early Lark jack. Here are some pics:

Name:	DSC03011.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1695319 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03016.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1695320 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03022.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1695321 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03024.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1695322 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03036.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1695323 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03043.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1695325

I've also received what I've bought pictureless as a 1959-60 interior rearview mirror, and was I received is a 1961-63 Lark mirror...not fitting the upper interior molding. But Warren may have one on his parts car, so that's good news.
              I now have factory black knobs everywhere on the dash, matching and working cigarette lighter, that looks really good!

Name:	DSC03056.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1695330

Another question I have if anybody has an advice on this is about these door sill plates I received:
              The guy sold me these sill plates saying these were for early Larks (59-60) but I'm not sure about it and the only thing I'm sure is that these don't match the drilled holes I have in the car's floors. And there's no part number, nothing. Googled it for hours, nothing but too small-sized pics. Would anybody know if these are the correct sill plates for my car?

Name:	DSC03046.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1695327 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03051.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1695329

The other problems, as the wiper system one, are not solved, too much problems finding the missing parts without parts books that should be lost somewhere between the USA and Switzerland. I've ordered other parts books from an another vendor, hope these ones are going to come, and FAST.

Thanks everyone for your help and advices!

EDIT: Oh and here's my chromed (and weared) parking brake handle:

Name:	DSC03061.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1695331

Comment

The sill plates look like the embossed Aluminum type used on '63 Larks, yours were smooth Stainless Steel very much like a Carpet to Vinyl sill plate for a House.

Yes that is a '56-'58 Type E Brake handle and shaft, who knows if it came that way or not.

Looks like you are really in need of some New Brake & Clutch Pedals, those have some SERIOUS Miles on them.

Also if you are trying to make this Lark "Perfect" that Black Paint in the Trunk will have to go .
                I think most '59's were Gray/Tan. I don't know why we call it Gringe Gray.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 02-03-2015, 10:40 AM.
                StudeRich

Comment

The sill plates look like the embossed Aluminum type used on '63 Larks, yours were smooth Stainless Steel very much like a Carpet to Vinyl sill plate for a House.

Yes that is a '56-'58 Type E Brake handle and shaft, who knows if it came that way or not.

Looks like you are really in need of some New Brake & Clutch Pedals, those have some SERIOUS Miles on them.

Also if you are trying to make this Lark "Perfect" that Black Paint in the Trunk will have to go .
                  In the trunk of a 59 Lark you can see the original color.

The door sill plates are embossed just like the ones you received. It could be that the cars with rubber mats had the embossed ones and the carpeted cars had the stainless steel. At first I thought that you have a set from a 2 door and the rear set from a 4 door. I was thinking that on a 4 door car the size would be closer but I measured mine and their about 42", 1065 mm, long and have 5 holes, not 4 holes like yours. Someone else might know what you have.

Also the metal brake handle is different than the metal one in mine. My handle has five ribs or grooves that run up and down. I don't have a good enough photo to show you but it's a mystery.

Len
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                    Also the metal brake handle is different than the metal one in mine. My handle has five ribs or grooves that run up and down. I don't have a good enough photo to show you but it's a mystery. Len
                    I have seen those vertical grooved Parking Brake Handles on Chevys. not on any Stude.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Thank you very much for your advice!!!
                      Bad news about the sill plates, I'll have to find the right ones as I don't want to drill 25 more holes in the floors to install these.
                      Great for the parking brake handle, it will stay as is except for a rechrome in a few years.
                      I'll keep the pedal pads for a moment, I like 'em. I'll say 15K miles more and I won't have to pull them out, they'll just fall. I've found NOS ones a few days ago, I'm going to store them preciously until the beginning of the full resto process.
                      Yes you're right for the trunk paint, the original paint can be seen under at some places. It will have to go as the complete upholestry, carpet, door panels and a few more things. But I'm absolutely not afraid about that, the upholestry and paint jobs can be done with materials available here, and really approaching to the factory used materials. My main concern is still finding all the parts to get the car back at 100% complete...and I still have about 20 items to find, which of course are the hardest to find.

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                      In the trunk of a 59 Lark you can see the original color.

The door sill plates are embossed just like the ones you received. It could be that the cars with rubber mats had the embossed ones and the carpeted cars had the stainless steel. At first I thought that you have a set from a 2 door and the rear set from a 4 door. I was thinking that on a 4 door car the size would be closer but I measured mine and their about 42", 1065 mm, long and have 5 holes, not 4 holes like yours. Someone else might know what you have.

Also the metal brake handle is different than the metal one in mine. My handle has five ribs or grooves that run up and down. I don't have a good enough photo to show you but it's a mystery.

Len
                      Thank you for your help Len! I'll have to find an another set of correct sill plates, which seems kinda hard to find.

---

Any advices on my jack and its too long hook? Any 59 sill plates pics sitting around?

Comment

Originally posted by Comet72 View Post
                        Any advices on my jack and its too long hook? Any 59 sill plates pics sitting around?
                        We need an expert on jacks, like mrbiggs was/is on horn buttons.

As noted above, the 59-64 parts book shows pix of the jack bases and the shape of the shafts that go with them:
                        A: the hole is shaped sorta like the dome of the US Capitol or the Sistine Chapel. This is the base I sent to Comet 72 as being appropriate to 59 Larks. The shaft is shaped like a Y.
                        B: hole shaped like type A, but the shaft is shaped like a T.
                        C: shaped like a U or a V.
                        D: shaped like a D.
                        The parts book does NOT picture the business part of the jack, which has to match the shaft. I have a couple of other Stude jacks, specifically types C and D. Both resemble the red jack pictured in post #15, except there is only a single "hook". That hook is there to hold a separate, removable piece that has a J-shaped end that catches the underside of the bumper. The two jacks I have have different shaped J-shaped pieces, but I don't know which goes with which. The bumper in post #36 does not have the hook or the separate piece. So even though that jack fits the base, I suspect that it is not the correct one for a Lark bumper. Not sure this helps anyone, least of all Comet72.
                        Last edited by Skip Lackie; 02-06-2015, 07:14 AM.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks again for your help Skip, I don't want anybody to search for hours in books or anywhere but if somebody has still the original jack in its Lark's trunk or a picture showing a jack, that would be awesome.
                          Here are the best pictures from an "all original" 59 coupe for sale on E-Bay a few weeks ago, and this jack looks exactly the same as Len's one...that tends me to think that's the jack I should definitively look for.

Name:	$_57dddd.JPG
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1695373 Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57fn.JPG
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1695374

But unfortunately...that will not make it easier to find.

Two parts found today: Interior mirror and fender emblem clips...one part each day and that will make a complete, nice looking car for next spring!

Comment

Thanks for posting those brochure photos Craig. It gives me a better idea of what I should or should not have in my 1960 interior. I'm closer than I anticipated. I'm apparently just missing the vertical stitching in the top half of the door panels.

Comment

comet72, did you happen to notice this little item on Ebay? I saw it while searching for interior photos of Larks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Studeba...item43b9bdd968

It'd be fun to have, but not for that price.

Does anyone remember viewing these images before in their own Viewmaster?

Comment

Working...
                              X