Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1959 Lark Deluxe interior questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interior: 1959 Lark Deluxe interior questions

    Hi all,

    I'm still trying to get my 1959 Lark Deluxe Sedan to its bone-stock, factory condition but I've got a few things I still can't figure out. Parts manuals are coming but there's a few ads on e-bay ending these days I don't want to miss them.
    My Lark is kind of a big puzzle, assembled through the years with parts like Chevy pick-up truck wiper motor, rests of a late-40's Trico vacuum wiper assembly, 1950s Chevy switches, non period-correct rear view mirror that is screwed onto the roof...well yeah, parts seems kinda hard to find here in Switzerland for guys that don't know how to use the internet.

    Here are a few things I'm trying to figure out while buying the last parts I'm missing.

    Did the 59 Deluxe had door sill plates? For the four doors? If so, would anybody have a pic of these?
    Did it came factory with a lug wrench? How does that looks?
    Studebaker never produced factory side mirrors for this car, right?
    Were they one or two sockets weld to the tailight bases? Currently on my car the factory tailight sockets have been cut the rear trunk panel drilled and two aftermarket sockets are wired per side...nothing factory-correct in this anymore.
    Would anybody have a good picture of a 1959 Lark interior rear view mirror?
    How is the glove box cardboard supposed to be fixed to the dash? What kind of fasteners should I use?
    Part numbers for the correct wiper arms?

    I currently have all kinds of dash knobs: Chrome 1963-ish for the Heat control, two round black bakelite-style for the lights and fan switches...and the same bakelite or hard plastic round knobs for the radio but in white. What's the correct knobs style for my 1959 Lark Deluxe and what colour is the right one? Does anybody know what's the deal with these knobs, white ones for the Regal and black ones for the Deluxe or something like that? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01414.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1746098Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1746099

    And finally, I've got A LOT of holes drilled in the front and rear fenders, can someone confirm me that these holes have nothing to do with factory trim? Gonna weld these soon.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1746101Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02384.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1746100

    If anybody has an answer to any of these questions, that would definitively make my day.
    Thank you and best regards from Switzerland!

  • #2
    I will take a shot at some of these from memory. It has been years since I owned a 1959 Lark. Someone that owns one and/or has proper documentation can chime in with more/better answers.

    Yes, it came with a lug wrench. It is L shaped with the socket on the short end of the L and a "flat" area on the long end of the L that is used for hubcap/wheelcover removal. The long end of the L is also used as a jack handle for the bumper jack that the car also came with.

    Wrong - exterior side mirrors were a factory accessory/option.

    One tailight socket per housing. A dual filament bulb was used for STP. Back up (reverse) lamps were a separate option.

    The upper, rear section of each front fender should have "Studebaker " nameplates attached with pins through holes in the fenders.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

    Comment


    • #3
      Like Gary, it's been many years since I owned a 59 Lark -- so if I'm wrong, someone correct me.

      Yes, it had sill plates. SI may have them new, but Tom Karkiewicz of Indiana will probably have good used ones. Agree with Gary on all his answers. I think the taillight sockets were "crimped" onto the taillight housings. I may have some good used housings. Might also have a used inside mirror, too -- would have to look (and it's cold out there right now). The glovebox cardboard was attached by push-on fasteners, #306746x41. I believe the correct knobs are chrome-plated pot metal. The Stude part numbers for the wiper arms are 1314800 and 1314801. They were made by Trico and were also used on other makes at the time.
      Skip Lackie

      Comment


      • #4
        Have you tried Googling 59 Lark? Studying the pictures will answer some questions about knobs, holes, and such.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you very much for your answers! Really helpful!

          Yes I've passed hours and hours on Google, on various sections of this forum and emailing some people but nobody was sure of anything. And detailed interior pictures of 59 Deluxe are quite as hard to find as some of the parts.

          About the knobs, to me it seems like white plastic knobs are for the 60-62 models, black plastic for the 59-60 Deluxe and chrome plated for the 59-60 Regal...but I couldn't read info about this anywhere. It seems legit as the two remaining Studebaker knobs on the car are black plastic type-ones.

          Ok, so my tailight housings are shot. Yes they were crimped, that's what I was wondering, thank you very much for that info! My Lark doesn't have back-up lights.
          I have the correct holes for the Studebaker scripts, but I was asking myself about the holes you might see on my two last pictures: At the very front of the front fenders and at the very end of the rear fenders...looks like holes for aftermarker trim or something like that.
          So my car is missing all door sill plates, lug wrench (used to be scrapped I belive) and fasteners for the glove box...and I'll have to replace the ugly Peugeot wiper arms that are installed now.

          About the door mirrors thank you for the info, I have the original 1959 "accessories manual" right next to me but I hadn't understand that they were also available for Larks, I thought it was optional only on Hawks, GH and SH.
          Looking at the holes in my driver's door that are really poorly drilled, it really seems to me like it quitted the factory without any door mirror, but if I can find a nice Stratoline mirror someday on E-Bay, that could look great!

          @Skip-Lackie: I'm really interested by any of these parts you would have for sale, including 12V wiper motor...you can PM me anytime! Thank you!

          I forgot to notice that I'm also waiting on a copy of the factory production order from the South Bend Stude Museum, based on the serial number...that may help a bit on the options ordered with this car.

          Thank you very much for your help, I'm gladly listening to all the infos you have, that's great!
          Last edited by Comet72; 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, it had sill plates. They were used to retain the standard rubber floor mat.

            The glove box saw retained by button head clips. Part number 306746X1 available from most vendors

            Wiper arms in the original shiny stainless steel finish are no longer available. If your going for strict originality used ones are for sale at times. I would place an ad in the Stude Swap page.

            The holes pictured in front of the wheel opening on the front fenders and the holes in the rear fenders do not belong there.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

            Comment


            • #7
              To update Skip's otherwise correct Post #3:
              Quote: "I believe the correct knobs are chrome-plated pot metal."

              The correct switch and Radio Knobs on a '59 Deluxe would have been BLACK Plastic with the dished stainless steel centers as you have 2 of, the Chrome ones were Regal only, White Plastic ='60 & '62.

              Black Knobs for Headlight Sw. Wiper & Fan you need: 1539888 with spring clip retainer.

              Black Knobs for Temp./Heat Control: 1554118 with set screw retainer.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-10-2015, 01:56 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                To update Skip's otherwise correct Post #3:
                Quote: "I believe the correct knobs are chrome-plated pot metal."

                The correct switch and Radio Knobs on a '59 Deluxe would have been BLACK Plastic with the dished stainless steel centers as you have 2 of, the Chrome ones were Regal only, White Plastic ='60 & '62.

                Black Knobs for Headlight Sw. Wiper & Fan you need: 1539888 with spring clip retainer.

                Black Knobs for Temp./Heat Control: 1554118 with set screw retainer.
                Thanks. My 59 Lark was a hardtop, so presumably was a Regal. Parted it out 25 years ago, and memories fade . . . .
                Skip Lackie

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Comet72 View Post
                  Thank you very much for your answers! Really helpful!


                  @Skip-Lackie: I'm really interested by any of these parts you would have for sale, including 12V wiper motor...you can PM me anytime! Thank you!
                  Will not be able to see what I have until later in the week. Will PM you with the details.
                  Skip Lackie

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The holes at the rear,just in front of the taillight,are not original,nor are the holes in the front of the front fenders. Another source of factory photos and some reading,is the "Studebaker Lark Photo Archive" by Ed Reynolds.[the author is also the owner of Studebaker International]
                    Oglesby,Il.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      Thanks. My 59 Lark was a hardtop, so presumably was a Regal. Parted it out 25 years ago, and memories fade . . . .
                      The only 1959 hardtops, Lark and Hawk, were Regal Lark models (J6).

                      The only 1959 that I can remember owning and driving for awhile was also a 1959 Lark VIII Regal hardtop. The guy that I sold it to still has it. It had 27K miles on it when I sold it and I believe that it has about 44K miles now.

                      One correction for Comet72 - There were no Golden Hawks ("GH") in 1959, just Silver Hawks ("SH") [C body coupes].
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Comet72 View Post
                        Hi all,

                        I'm still trying to get my 1959 Lark Deluxe Sedan to its bone-stock, factory condition but I've got a few things I still can't figure out. Parts manuals are coming but there's a few ads on e-bay ending these days I don't want to miss them.
                        My Lark is kind of a big puzzle, assembled through the years with parts like Chevy pick-up truck wiper motor, rests of a late-40's Trico vacuum wiper assembly, 1950s Chevy switches, non period-correct rear view mirror that is screwed onto the roof...well yeah, parts seems kinda hard to find here in Switzerland for guys that don't know how to use the internet.

                        Here are a few things I'm trying to figure out while buying the last parts I'm missing.

                        Did the 59 Deluxe had door sill plates? For the four doors? If so, would anybody have a pic of these?
                        Did it came factory with a lug wrench? How does that looks?
                        Studebaker never produced factory side mirrors for this car, right?
                        Were they one or two sockets weld to the tailight bases? Currently on my car the factory tailight sockets have been cut the rear trunk panel drilled and two aftermarket sockets are wired per side...nothing factory-correct in this anymore.
                        Would anybody have a good picture of a 1959 Lark interior rear view mirror?
                        How is the glove box cardboard supposed to be fixed to the dash? What kind of fasteners should I use?
                        Part numbers for the correct wiper arms?

                        I currently have all kinds of dash knobs: Chrome 1963-ish for the Heat control, two round black bakelite-style for the lights and fan switches...and the same bakelite or hard plastic round knobs for the radio but in white. What's the correct knobs style for my 1959 Lark Deluxe and what colour is the right one? Does anybody know what's the deal with these knobs, white ones for the Regal and black ones for the Deluxe or something like that? [ATTACH=CONFIG]40427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40428[/ATTACH]

                        And finally, I've got A LOT of holes drilled in the front and rear fenders, can someone confirm me that these holes have nothing to do with factory trim? Gonna weld these soon.

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]40430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40429[/ATTACH]

                        If anybody has an answer to any of these questions, that would definitively make my day.
                        Thank you and best regards from Switzerland!
                        Comet72,

                        Have a look at these photos and some of your questions may be answered. This is how I bought my 59. It was original except for the air cleaner, top radiator hose and passenger side outer door handle. The mirror on the fender is factory and you can see many little similarities to your car, although mine is a 2 door. You can see part of the lug wrench under the spare tire next to the book.

                        https://plus.google.com/photos/11667...025?banner=pwa

                        Enjoy.


                        Len

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          The only 1959 hardtops, Lark and Hawk, were Regal Lark models (J6).
                          I probably knew that at one time. But this explains why chief judges wisely decline my offer to be a judge at meets . . . . . . .
                          Skip Lackie

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                            Comet72,

                            Have a look at these photos and some of your questions may be answered./Cut/
                            https://plus.google.com/photos/11667...025?banner=pwa
                            Enjoy.Len
                            Interesting Car Len and VERY original looking! No Cigar Lighter, No Radio, but a Climitizer, Clock and Deluxe Horn Ring were added Factory, Dealer or after sale.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                              Yes, it had sill plates. They were used to retain the standard rubber floor mat.

                              The glove box saw retained by button head clips. Part number 306746X1 available from most vendors

                              Wiper arms in the original shiny stainless steel finish are no longer available. If your going for strict originality used ones are for sale at times. I would place an ad in the Stude Swap page.

                              The holes pictured in front of the wheel opening on the front fenders and the holes in the rear fenders do not belong there.
                              Thank you very much for your help!
                              I'll have to find some of these glove box clips, thanks for the part number, really helpful!

                              I finally figured out that the wiper arms I actually have on the car are the stock ones, except that the driver's side has been badly repaired. I was lucky enough to find an another same set on E-Bay yesterday for cheap...because the spring of the passenger's side one was broken. So that will make a good set, and spare parts! All good!

                              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              To update Skip's otherwise correct Post #3:
                              Quote: "I believe the correct knobs are chrome-plated pot metal."

                              The correct switch and Radio Knobs on a '59 Deluxe would have been BLACK Plastic with the dished stainless steel centers as you have 2 of, the Chrome ones were Regal only, White Plastic ='60 & '62.

                              Black Knobs for Headlight Sw. Wiper & Fan you need: 1539888 with spring clip retainer.

                              Black Knobs for Temp./Heat Control: 1554118 with set screw retainer.
                              Great, thank you for these really interesting infos! I have bought the correct black knobs in NOS condition on E-Bay but I'm still missing the ones with the screw retainers...but now with the part number you gave me that's going to be a lot easier to find!!!

                              Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                              Will not be able to see what I have until later in the week. Will PM you with the details.
                              Awesome! Thank you very much, that's really nice!

                              Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                              The holes at the rear,just in front of the taillight,are not original,nor are the holes in the front of the front fenders. Another source of factory photos and some reading,is the "Studebaker Lark Photo Archive" by Ed Reynolds.[the author is also the owner of Studebaker International]
                              Thank you! Really happy you can confirm me that these holes don't belong here, I'm going to weld them as soon as possible. I'd love to know what stuff went with these holes...but unfortunately I couldn't have any infos about my car from the previous owner that bought it with these holes already drilled.

                              I have ordered the book you're telling me about a just before Christmas to the South Bend Museum, it should arrive in a few days...can't wait to read it!

                              Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              The only 1959 hardtops, Lark and Hawk, were Regal Lark models (J6).

                              The only 1959 that I can remember owning and driving for awhile was also a 1959 Lark VIII Regal hardtop. The guy that I sold it to still has it. It had 27K miles on it when I sold it and I believe that it has about 44K miles now.

                              One correction for Comet72 - There were no Golden Hawks ("GH") in 1959, just Silver Hawks ("SH") [C body coupes].
                              Thank you!
                              That's obvious I still have tons of thing to learn about Studebaker, thanks for your help!

                              Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                              Comet72,

                              Have a look at these photos and some of your questions may be answered. This is how I bought my 59. It was original except for the air cleaner, top radiator hose and passenger side outer door handle. The mirror on the fender is factory and you can see many little similarities to your car, although mine is a 2 door. You can see part of the lug wrench under the spare tire next to the book.

                              https://plus.google.com/photos/11667...025?banner=pwa

                              Enjoy.


                              Len
                              Thank you very much Len, that's great! Lots and lots of infos on your pics, thank you!!!


                              Here are some news, still collecting infos!
                              -I've bought a nice original Regal mirror this evening for 50 bucks.
                              -Wiper arms problem solved.
                              -I've found an original jack base from a member and also an original jack holding spring!

                              And I've finally taken pictures from the jack that was in the Lark's trunk when I bought it. Does it seems stock to anybody? It does fix to the bumpers pretty good and lifts the car quite well, but to me it doesn't seems like a factory jack...and it does not stands really well in the trunk with the factory stowage spring.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02628.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1695050 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1695051 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1695052

                              Still searching for a lot of parts to complete my little Lark, if you have something for sale, please PM me.. Thanks to everybody for you help!!! Still gladly taking all infos about the questions in my first post.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02637.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1695053
                              Last edited by Comet72; 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X