Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Removing very old masking tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Removing very old masking tape

I have car that was taped up about 37 years ago and am trying to remove it while preserving what I can of the original finish the masking tape is very hard to remove as most of you know, how does one remove itClick image for larger version

Name:	Photo12311459_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1746068There is a lot more tape than this I just haven't taken any photos of it.
    Thank you,
    Jay

I would try Goof Off

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
      I have car that was taped up about 37 years ago and am trying to remove it while preserving what I can of the original finish the masking tape is very hard to remove as most of you know, how does one remove it[ATTACH=CONFIG]40337[/ATTACH]There is a lot more tape than this I just haven't taken any photos of it.
      Thank you,
      Jay
      It's going to be tough. I'd try repeated soaking with warm water to which you've added a few drops of detergent, then scrub with a toothbrush.

Comment

The adhesive isn't water soluble. I have had good luck using WD40 and elbow grease.

Comment

Hey Luckydog i've used a rag soaked in gas to good advantage. keep the tape wet and keep rubbing, Good Luck Doofus

Comment

As said w-d works good and most times won't hurt the paint. Try a small spot first. 3-m makes adhesive remover that works well but use gloves as it causes cancer in mice just in case your a mouse. wax and grease remover works sometimes if you soak it good.

Comment

I'm laughing, I believe I am, but sure glad I don't live in California cause everything causes cancer there.
              It's as warm as it is going to get to the shop I go.
              Jay

Comment

Old adhesives can be reactivated with heat...however...the paint or glass or other substrate may also be changed by heat. Try a hair dryer, a good one that has multiple heat settings. DON'T use a heat gun. If you really want to use a heat gun start in an inconspicuous place. I have used hairdryers on old tape and stickers for years. It works. R
                64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
                Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

Also try pricking the tape with a pin to allow your goo gone to get in. It will also allow your tape to get wetter with your detergent.

Comment

I've used WD-40 to remove a lot of old grease and dirt as well as sticy stuff left behind by price stickers, etc. I would spray it with WD-40 and let it soak. I haven't tried GOOP, so I can't comment on that. GoJo and Goop put on clothing grease stains before doing your laundry works quite well.

On my cars I spray WD-40 on the bare metal parts under the hood, after cleaning the engine, and it does a good job of keeping the rust and corrosion away.

Comment

I use charcoal starter fluid, same stuff as auto tar remover. Diesel fuel, kerosene, lamp oil also work and should not harm finish. If that makes you nervous get some 3M adhesive remover from your local auto paint supply. Yes, a little gentle warmth helps. DO NOT USE GOOF OFF unless you test it first on a small hidden spot. Hopefully the tape will not have messed up the finish after all this time. I used to work in a collision repair shop and have used these methods on customer cars.

Comment

There was a product called "mask off" that is made to remove old masking tape from airplanes. It will not affect paint. I purchased a can of it many, many years ago from Aircraft Spruce. You might want to try their website. Put it on and let it soak for awhile and it will eventually wipe off the old adhesive/paper.

Comment

I owned a body shop for a number of years, and we often used a "stripe eraser". You can get one at any auto paint specialty store. it's a special rubber wheel on (usually) a 1/4" shaft, and there is a certain low-speed "die grinder" type air motor the pro's use to drive it. You can get by with an electric drill. (Don't use a high speed die grinder!)
                          This tool I'm recommending WILL WORK. And, it removes old decals, tape stripes, bumper stickers, etc. with ease, and won't burn the paint if used gently. One eraser will generally do all the work you need to do on one car, sometimes more.
                          1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                          1951 Champion Business Coupe
                          1951 Commander Starlight
                          1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                          1953 Champion Starlight
                          1953 Commander Starliner
                          1953 2R5
                          1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                          1957 Silver Hawk
                          1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                          1959 Silver Hawk
                          1961 Hawk