Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Airtex vs. S.I. fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Airtex vs. S.I. fuel pump

I received an Airtex fuel pump on 01/03/15 via UPS to replace my S.I. pump which I believed gave up the ghost with less than 100 miles of use. I installed the pump this morning 03/04/15 with some help from my wife. The 1960 259 V8 was primed, turned over and fired. I repeated this procedure twice and she ran on her own. Originally a week ago I was in the process of setting the dwell angle to factory spec when the replacement S.I. pump quit. With the new Airtex I was able to set things right but not before having noticed upon inspection that both pumps looked identical in every detail right down to the metal tag that mounted on one of the six metal screws used to hold the top of the diaphragm to the body of the pump. It was the very same screw that was used on the S.I. pump. The first four numbers on the Airtex pump tag were identical to the S.I.'s. : 4227. The bottom row of numbers was comprised of four didgits just like the S.I. pump. The first two were different but the last two numbers were the same: 14. Coincidence? The S.I. pump lists for $60.00 each plus shipping. The Airtex pump lists on line for 36.00 each plus $6.00 for shipping from CA. Since I had such bad luck with the S.I. and having a sneaking suspicion both originate from the same source I will be sending my original Carter pump I found on the engine to member Dave Thibeault for a rebuild as is recommended by many members. I do need his shipping address. Dave are you out there? Thanks in advance....T.J.

Yep, I think you had (have) two Airtex pumps. After the bad luck I had with rebuilt pumps this summer, I'm holding off for a bit and will keep using my electric pump.

Once I know I won't be throwing away good money, then I'll rebuild mine with a QUALITY kit.

Comment

I do not know what happened with your timing on this one Anthony, maybe you did not read the conclusion to your questions and Post #25, PM's etc. about your String which would have prevented this DOUBLE mistake:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?85930-S-I-replacement-fuel-pump

It could be, it was just too late because you had already jumped right in and bought the same thing all over again.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This year is really passing fast! I didn't realize it's March 4th already.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I do not know what happened with your timing on this one Anthony, maybe you did not read the conclusion to your questions and Post #25, PM's etc. about your String which would have prevented this DOUBLE mistake:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?85930-S-I-replacement-fuel-pump

It could be, it was just too late because you had already jumped right in and bought the same thing all over again.
          I purchased the now installed pump from Rock Auto on line. I was surprised that it turned out to be the same pump as the almost twice as much S.I. pump. Am I the only one who didn't know this? Thank you for the valuable information you supplied. T.J.

Comment

Working...
          X