Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Front end feels loose when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Front end feels loose when driving

I have a 1957 Packard Clipper
    Can Steering Box be adjusted?
    Checked all tie rods & ball joints tight - lot of play in steering wheel.

Ideas for good source for front end parts?

Cell# 8323872377
    Home 2816892958
    Tim in Texas

The Studebaker Shop Manual describes the steering gear adjustment process, there is the stud and locknut on the outboard side of the box. The adjustment is very precise (touchy) and must be done correctly and gently to prevent damage.

Have you checked for play or looseness in the Center Pivot Bearings and Bellcrank?
    Worn Bearings on the pivot shaft or a loose clamp bolt will produce slop at the end of the Bellcrank that connects to the 2 Tie Rods.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The steering coupler can wear out, and it's almost impossible to see. It's hidden inside the lower steering jacket on the Saginaw power steering boxes.
      http://www.larescorp.com/
      These people can rebuild it properly. This is a side view of it, and the adjusting nut for the manual part of the gear is the nut on the side with the slot in the middle.Click image for larger version

Name:	68858_8452_LEFT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1694901
      Last edited by bezhawk; 12-30-2014, 09:14 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        The steering coupler can wear out, and it's almost impossible to see. It's hidden inside the lower steering jacket on the Saginaw power steering boxes.
        http://www.larescorp.com/
        These people can rebuild it properly.
        There used to be a few NOS couplers out there for sale....If your car indeed needs the coupler Brad mentioned, I'd check with S.I. or one of the other Stude parts vendors first. (Same coupler, all Studes and South Bend Packards with the Saginaw P/S.)

Comment

SI still has the coupler, or they did a few years ago. I usually replace them anytime the PS is apart, just to take up as much slack in the system as possible. They wear out real quick when folks try to drive the car without the PS working. It is not designed to carry the load involved when the PS is not working. Otherwise, they wear very little

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Moondog View Post
            I have a 1957 Packard Clipper
            Can Steering Box be adjusted?
            Checked all tie rods & ball joints tight - lot of play in steering wheel.

Ideas for good source for front end parts?

Cell# 8323872377
            Home 2816892958
            Tim in Texas
            First, I would check the simple stuff, like the tightness of the center pivot cinch bolt.
            Be sure to know exactly where the play is before attacking any part of the system.
            The car has king pins, not ball joints, so I question your knowledge of, ability to diagnose and ability to repair this steering system.
            I would start with SI for parts.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

And in case you are brand new to Studebakers, SI is Studebaker International.

http://www.studebaker-intl.com/
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                First, I would check the simple stuff, like the tightness of the center pivot cinch bolt.
                Be sure to know exactly where the play is before attacking any part of the system.
                The car has king pins, not ball joints, so I question your knowledge of, ability to diagnose and ability to repair this steering system.
                I would start with SI for parts.
                The center pivot would be the first thing I checked too. I had a loose one once and was relieved that a little adjustment solved my problem.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks guys, I have a mechanic that has worked on older cars and he came over and we raised the car and could not really see anything that needed replacing. So I will pass along all these great points and see if we can get this issue solved or at least understand if there is room to adjust further the steering!

Also is there a place I can get a PDF of the shop manual to down load?

Moondog
                  Last edited by Texas Moondog; 12-31-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Moondog View Post
                    Thanks guys, I have a mechanic that has worked on older cars and he came over and we raised the car and could not really see anything that needed replacing. So I will pass along all these great points and see if we can get this issue solved or at least understand if there is room to adjust further the steering!

Also is there a place I can get a PDF of the shop manual to down load?

Moondog
                    There are a couple experts around Texas that know the Studebaker front end, inside and out. Barry Hackney in Houston, Mark Frank in Lorena, The Jones Brothers in Harligen (Rio Grande Valley), Brian Austin in Gatesville, B.B. Holland in College Station. Not sure where Splendora is, but one of these fellas is bound to be able to help you, might even save you a lot of money. It's obvious to me that your mechanic, even though he has worked on older cars, really has no idea what he's looking for in diagnosing your particular front end problem. It may be a little effort on your part, but getting someone who knows the front end to help you is really going to save you time and money.
                    Bo

Comment

Working...
                    X