Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Lark PS on a Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Lark PS on a Hawk?

Hi All-- Suppose I were to have a complete, rusty '63 Lark with a 289, and complete power steering, and then suppose I also had a '57 Silver Hawk with manual steering and a 289 as well. Could I install that PS on my Hawk? If there's any difference, what would I need to do to make it all work? I appreciate all your knowledge, and your willingness to share it!
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

I expect more authoritative responses but, off the top of my head I would suspect, different steering column, shift linkages (especially if one is standard and one automatic), steering box bracket to frame, length of steering hydraulic hoses, steering column to floor seal and perhaps others. Not to say it can't be done; I adapted a '54 sedan power steering to a '53 Coupe but, it required additional parts from a Hawk, as well as some cutting and fitting.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Couldn't I just change the Pittman arm and leave the steering column alone?
      1951 Commander Starlight
      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
      1953 Champion Starlight
      1953 Commander Starliner
      1953 2R5
      1957 Silver Hawk
      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
      1959 Silver Hawk
      1961 Hawk
      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
      1965 Cruiser
      1970 Avanti

Comment

[QUOTE=drrotor;890384]Couldn't I just change the Pittman arm and leave the steering column alone?[/QUOTE

The reach rod is longer on the hawk so you would need one of them and the Pittman arm hook up is different size then the lark or later hawk, and if you changed to a later hawk steering box and column the steering wheel would need to be from the later hawk since the center shaft is a different size from early to later, 58 or 59 what ever year they changed the steering wheel design.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Drrotor a saginaw steering gear from a 53-54 c/k would help. lark p/s pitman arm would fit,hawk reach rod and hoses also. i performed this trick on my 53 hot rod. really works for aged joints (Driver) sit down with parts book and noodle it out,Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

And so on, saginaw gearbox used through '58 model year in C/K. Doofus

Comment

Good luck with a lark or hawk Pittman arm on on an early steering box.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Adding Power Steering to a '57 Hawk

You start by realizing that the Sedan/Wagon and Lark Bodies are higher and have a steeper angle to the column, also shorter Column than C, K and Hawk.

Then the issue with the fact that you cannot Mix a '53-'55 Saginaw Power Steering Gear with ANY later Hawk Bendix Ram and & Control Valve type Parts.

So in other words, this is the Wrong way to accomplish whatever it is you're tying to do.

As Doofus said in Post #5, scan the Parts Book, Pictures and Part Number listings and I think you will see it does not work.

Sure there are a couple of ways to install Power Steering in a '57 Silver Hawk, but this is NOT one.

Now if you want to do it the easy way, just get the whole setup from a '61 to '64 Hawk parts car and be done with it!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The easiest way to improve the steering is add a later 61- up Saginaw box column and the whole works to the Hawk All that is needed is one adapter, and a custom reach rod fabricated. No power steering is then needed.
                  Here is the way one person did it.
                  http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw1098/tw1098p28.html
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    The easiest way to improve the steering is add a later 61- up Saginaw box column and the whole works to the Hawk All that is needed is one adapter, and a custom reach rod fabricated. No power steering is then needed.
                    Here is the way one person did it.
                    http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw1098/tw1098p28.html
                    Now THAT is a helpful article! Pardon my ignorance, but does our '57 Silver Hawk have the same Ross steering box referenced in that article as the '53 C/K cars did? If so, that article is directly applicable to my situation. AND, coincidentally, I just happen to have a '62 lark manual-steering parts car!
                    Have any of you driven enough various Studebakers to offer an opinion as to whether making this change (from Ross to Saginaw manual boxes) is worth the effort? The idea here is to make this car a pleasure for my 5'4" wife to drive...
                    1951 Commander Starlight
                    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                    1953 Champion Starlight
                    1953 Commander Starliner
                    1953 2R5
                    1957 Silver Hawk
                    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                    1959 Silver Hawk
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                    1963 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                    1965 Cruiser
                    1970 Avanti

Comment

I think in 57 they changed the Ross boxes to incorporate a rollerized sector pin that rubs on the worm gear. However it is still pretty high friction. Often the box pitman shaft seal is cooked by the hot exhaust manifold due to the close proximity. When this happens all the semi-fluid grease leaks out, and then the parts wear and rust dry as a bone.
                      It's amazing what a rebuild will do for driveability. Things must be lubed to function in such high load environments.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                        Now THAT is a helpful article! Pardon my ignorance, but does our '57 Silver Hawk have the same Ross steering box referenced in that article as the '53 C/K cars did? If so, that article is directly applicable to my situation. AND, coincidentally, I just happen to have a '62 lark manual-steering parts car!
                        Have any of you driven enough various Studebakers to offer an opinion as to whether making this change (from Ross to Saginaw manual boxes) is worth the effort? The idea here is to make this car a pleasure for my 5'4" wife to drive...
                        Key word here is, "opinion". Not sure about your 5'4" wife, but mine would prefer PS to anything standard, including Saginaw. IMHO, swapping to Saginaw, while staying with standard steering would not be worth the effort, no matter who is gonna drive it. My opinion is based on experience driving a 64 Wagonaire V8, and a 66 Challenger/Commander(?) six cylinder. The later gearboxes are an improvement, but apples and oranges, when compared to PS.

Comment

HEY drrotor if you have a ross steering gear it will have a 6 bolt side cover, large. the saginaw used that year has a smallish 4 bolt side cover. this saginaw will accept the later saginaw pitman arm from a lark. i've done this on my 53. if it's a ross look for a complete p/s gearbox from a GT hawk. i have driven p/s equipped larks that could be driven with one finger! not sure how this came about but the bendix linkage type works like gang busters in my 53. the old saginaw offset power steering that came on 57's was good but the bendix was better. Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                            /Cut/if it's a ross look for a complete p/s gearbox from a GT hawk./Cut/Good Luck, Doofus
                            A Ross Steering Gear Type SL, from a '61 through '64 Hawk will not need to be from a Power Steering Car, they are all the same.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

PS set up

You should be able to buy a complete used Bendix system from someone for around 300.00 more or less. Get one from a GT Hawk as it will have the smaller oval steering wheel. Advertise here and the swap page that you are in need. cheers jimmijim
                              Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                              heers jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X