Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Rear shocks

Have a 64 Hawk, 289ci. Looking for better handling rear shocks than OEM if possible. Saw a couple of threads a while back discussing shocks and put out some numbers but when I looked them up the upper mounts were not correct (not a bolt through). Any Hawk or other compatible model guys out there have any shocks on your vehicles that have worked. Thanks, everyone has been real helpful as I learn the ways of the Studebaker.

I can't give you numbers just yet as I am not at home but do yourself a favor and grab a copy of a shock manufacturer's application book. An auto parts store might have a copy you could keep. Then look for appropriate compressed and extended length. Then look for top and bottom eye styles. Some can be changed just by pressing out bushes or similar work. Most suppliers don't list Studebaker so find one that does and start cross referencing. It a bit of work but I have found plenty of usable parts that way. At the moment I have Plymouth Fury police car shocks at the rear. They came with a helper coil, but that can be taken off. I had to press out the bushings to put in the right length tube at top but they work well. I used them with the coil before I rebuilt the spring packs and added a leaf.

Len.

Comment

Some Buicks will cross reference with Studebaker. Mac

Comment

The Buick cross reference is also from a 50 year old car! Try 71-80 Camaro. All kinds of performance shocks are available that WILL fit the Studebaker . Take your pick, Koni, Bilstein, Etc.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Are you modifying the shock in any way. When I look up 70-81 camaros it resembles the front shock mounts with the double bolt end.

Comment

There are 2 different length double bolt ends. Most shocks come with the shorter one and you have to lube them up good and press the ones that come with the shock out and press your old ends in.

Comment

Yes, you do have to :
              1) either press out the bolt bushing and replace it in the new shock, or ...
              2) cut the "ears" of the flat bolt ends with a hack saw, and file out the tube round for a bolt, then make up the slack with a stack of washers.
              Last edited by bezhawk; 12-19-2014, 07:20 AM.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Has anyone had success with the use of the still available Koni shocks (for the 71-80 Camaro) on an Avanti? What ride setting did you set the Konis up with (firm, medium or soft)? I would think the Camaro is a significantly heavier car than the Avanti, at least on the rear axle. Perhaps the front Konis are a good fit ride-wise for the Avanti, due to the heavier Stude V8 engine?

Any comments on the use of these still available Koni shocks on the Avanti would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
                  Has anyone had success with the use of the still available Koni shocks (for the 71-80 Camaro) on an Avanti? What ride setting did you set the Konis up with (firm, medium or soft)? I would think the Camaro is a significantly heavier car than the Avanti, at least on the rear axle. Perhaps the front Konis are a good fit ride-wise for the Avanti, due to the heavier Stude V8 engine?

Any comments on the use of these still available Koni shocks on the Avanti would be appreciated.
                  I run Koni Shocks in both my '64 Hawk and '63 Lark. Do they feel better?...who knows after installing a 1" front sway bars. I can tell you the sway bars were a big improvement.

Allen
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                  PSMCDR 2013
                  Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Go here and look for a mid 70's Avanti. They should be all the same as the same Studebaker chassis was used until the early 80's. http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

Here are some more for research.

http://gabriel.com/product-search/li...Avanti&engine=
                    http://gabriel.com/wp-content/upload...des_051414.pdf

Also have a look at Bob's site. http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtec...tml#Suspension Scroll down to Shock Absorbers. Some good reading.

Fronts are easy to find, rears not so easy. I found the 1957 Plymouth Fury in the KYB list and the stroke is not as long as listed for Studebaker rears on another manufactures site but I have had no problems.

Len.

Comment

Does the Hawk have a rear sway bar? That will make a BIG difference.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have a 62 Lark 259 2-door hardtop, and I think sway bars would make a huge difference there too. Would I need them on the front or the rear, or both?
                        Mike Davis
                        Regional Manager, North Carolina
                        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                          I run Koni Shocks in both my '64 Hawk and '63 Lark. Do they feel better?...who knows after installing a 1" front sway bars. I can tell you the sway bars were a big improvement.

Allen
                          Allen, do you happen to remember the Koni# for those shocks you are using on your 64

Comment

Working...
                          X