No announcement yet.

Ether or Starting Fluid not recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez Jeff I outta tell ya about a couple of people I spoke to on the Internet who shared a love for making mini cannons!!

I like using gas myself. Dribble a little down the throat to get a setting engine going. Little word though on whatever easily lightable fluid you guys use; too much fuel a slight leak at the manifold or base gasket, and a hot exhaust manifold can bring real trouble real fast. LOL, dont ask how I know this, but luckily I was able to extinguish the an exhaust manifold fire with rags on a flattie six before it got too out of control. [B)]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Saw the tire trick once when I had some bead-lock type HD towing tires that needed re-seating - never seen it before, but kinda freaked me out - worked though.

As for diesels, I wouldn't use starting fluid. When I used to earn my living as a heavy equipment mechanic, we'd just us a rag soaked in gasoline over the air filter to get a diesel going - might crack the injector nuts if the system had been open, but I'd never run a diesel on starting fluid trying to bleed injectors...YMMV

If a car has been sitting, I like to fill the bowl through the vent (if it's accessible) so I can get the accelerator pump working. If it's just being cantankerous & doesn't want to start, then the quick-start stuff comes out, but I start very slowly & try to use the least amount possible. A good strong battery helps every time too.

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
      -------------------
      Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geez Jeff I outta tell ya about a couple of people I spoke to on the Internet who shared a love for making mini cannons!!

PLEASE do NOT encourage Jeff! He seems to "f-up" with out our help! BOSEG!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

I ar uh perfeshnul
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

PLEASE do NOT encourage Jeff! He seems to "f-up" with out our help! BOSEG!
          Jim
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The spud gun thing sure brings back memories. I learned how to make them out of pop cans and duct tape. Where might you ask. The electronic shop of the state highway patrol.
            Denny L

Comment

My son raced go-karts for 8 years and WD-40 is all we ever used. The engines ran on methanol and in the winter that stuff don't atomize like gasoline! We would squirt WD-40 down the exhaust header while pulling the crank and the thing would fire right up! The overlap on the valves was enough to pull the WD-40 into the combustion chamber.

1955 President one owner
              Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Working...
              X