Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

V8 guys - let's talk about rocker arms, adjusters, shafts and pushrods

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Use a wire brush on/ in a bench grinder, drill press, or on a angle grinder to get the carbon that is exposed.

    A caustic cleaner will remove the crud harder to reach. It is hard to find these days. Experiment with some Detzol , muratic acid, (Spelling) or something similar. Don't use it 100% , dilute it.

    You should be able to use heat, do not 'overheat' . Do not turn it until it is cool.



    Soak time is your friend. You can use modern gas, or a combo of many things. These should be soaking the whole time you are doing everything else. Don't wait until the engine is being assembled. Soak them as soon as they come off. If you use a caustic cleaner check them every hour until you know how (strong ) it is cleaning.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by (S) View Post
      Use a wire brush on/ in a bench grinder, drill press, or on a angle grinder to get the carbon that is exposed.

      A caustic cleaner will remove the crud harder to reach. It is hard to find these days. Experiment with some Detzol , muratic acid, (Spelling) or something similar. Don't use it 100% , dilute it.

      You should be able to use heat, do not 'overheat' . Do not turn it until it is cool.



      Soak time is your friend. You can use modern gas, or a combo of many things. These should be soaking the whole time you are doing everything else. Don't wait until the engine is being assembled. Soak them as soon as they come off. If you use a caustic cleaner check them every hour until you know how (strong ) it is cleaning.
      Good points all. One tip I forgot to mention is to find a spray can of brake cleaning solvent which has the red plastic wand. That wand is exactly the right size to enter the hole in the rocker body, pass through the shaft hole and into the hole which connects with the adjuster body. Fifteen out of the most recent set of sixteen would pass the cleaner around the adjuster and out the hole in the pushrod receptacle. As mentioned, soak, repeat and blow compressed air through that hole while covering the top of the adjuster

      All this helps loosen most of them so they can be removed. The conundrum I mentioned is it's impossible to determine which will come out whole and which will twist off. We went with the heat and didn't break any more.

      jack vines
      PackardV8

      Comment


      • #18
        Interesting.
        Over the years, I've taken about sixty+ adjusters out of they're respective rocker arms, never had a problem..!?
        Yes they can be a bit tight, but I've never had a problem.

        Going back together after cleaning (and sometimes some lightening), they still have their locking feature intact, some more than others, but some also came apart much easier than others. That I never checked, easy out, easy back together ?

        Mike

        Comment


        • #19
          Never tried it on adjusters, but on carbs and other parts I have used a torch tip cleaner. Several sizes in thousandths . They are actually round files, so be aware.

          Comment


          • #20
            I have had good success soaking parts in ammonia, but it takes time--sometimes weeks. Also I do not know how it will work in confined areas, I normally use it on the outside of parts. Has any one had success with ultrasonic parts cleaners? https://www.ebay.com/itm/6L-QT-380W-...QAAOSw6IdcOc0I

            Comment


            • #21
              (S), gastjohnll -

              Note that your torch tip cleaner, pipe cleaners, Q-tips, (just) soaking. etc, will...not..."remove" the ancient garbage oil that Jack is talking about.
              You MUST remove the adjuster. There is an machined groove in the adjuster itself that needs to be cleaned, and there is no access from the outside. Also, "cleaning" the lower hole in the rocker arm itself, again, because you cannot "push" the garbage out of the hole and OUT of the rocker arm, you just force it deeper into the adjuster area.

              So yes, you MUST remove the adjuster to "fully" (properly) clean the adjuster and the oil passage holes in the rocker arm itself.

              Mike

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by (S) View Post
                Use a wire brush on/ in a bench grinder, drill press, or on a angle grinder to get the carbon that is exposed.

                A caustic cleaner will remove the crud harder to reach. It is hard to find these days. Experiment with some Detzol , muratic acid, (Spelling) or something similar. Don't use it 100% , dilute it.

                You should be able to use heat, do not 'overheat' . Do not turn it until it is cool.



                Soak time is your friend. You can use modern gas, or a combo of many things. These should be soaking the whole time you are doing everything else. Don't wait until the engine is being assembled. Soak them as soon as they come off. If you use a caustic cleaner check them every hour until you know how (strong ) it is cleaning.
                Please don't use Muriatic or any other mineral acid. They will cause a phenomenon known as hydrogen belittlement, and those parts can snap like a pretzel.

                Use solvents or strong alkaline cleaners instead. PB Blaster is a good solvent crud softener; it may take a few days of soaking.
                Draino, soaking for several days is another safe choice. Dishwasher detergent dissolved in a bit of water and heated is effective and safe.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                  Please don't use Muriatic or any other mineral acid. They will cause a phenomenon known as hydrogen belittlement, and those parts can snap like a pretzel.

                  Use solvents or strong alkaline cleaners instead. PB Blaster is a good solvent crud softener; it may take a few days of soaking.
                  Draino, soaking for several days is another safe choice. Dishwasher detergent dissolved in a bit of water and heated is effective and safe.
                  To belittle means to put down, or make another person feel as thouigh they are not important.

                  I believe you mean, embrittlement,
                  a loss of ductility of a material, making it brittle. Hydrogen embrittlement is the effect of hydrogen absorption on some metals and alloys.

                  Sorry, it just made me laugh.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I thought that was a pretty good pun, myself. After all, Hydrogen is the smallest atom.

                    JT

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                      To belittle means to put down, or make another person feel as thouigh they are not important.

                      I believe you mean, embrittlement,
                      a loss of ductility of a material, making it brittle. Hydrogen embrittlement is the effect of hydrogen absorption on some metals and alloys.

                      Sorry, it just made me laugh.
                      Another proof that auto-correct sucks.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by oilnsteel View Post
                        I thought that was a pretty good pun, myself. After all, Hydrogen is the smallest atom.

                        JT
                        I hadn't thought of it that way, but it is funny that way too now you mention it. Good call!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Another sucky auto correct:

                          A man received the following text from his neighbour:
                          I am so sorry Bob. I've been riddled with guilt and I have to confess.
                          I have been tapping your wife all the time.
                          I'm not getting any at my house, but that's no excuse.
                          I can no longer live with the guilt and I hope you will accept my sincerest apology, along with my promise that it won't happen again.

                          The man, feeling anguished and betrayed, went into his bedroom, grabbed his gun and without a word, shot his wife and killed her.

                          A few moments later, a second text message came in:
                          Damn spell-check. I meant "wifi", not "wife".

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X