Champ Truck Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Champ Truck Puzzle

My Champ Truck has a slight vibration and I was underneath it yesterday and discovered that there is a "bend" in the two piece drive shaft at the center bearing. Is this normal?

I do not see any other holes for the center bearing to bolt to. The truck has a New Process 5 speed OD transmission with a factory Dana 44 rear axle

Is this "bend" causing the vibration?

Peter
    Attached Files

vibration

Originally posted by KOOL R2 View Post
    My Champ Truck has a slight vibration and I was underneath it yesterday and discovered that there is a "bend" in the two piece drive shaft at the center bearing. Is this normal?

I do not see any other holes for the center bearing to bolt to. The truck has a New Process 5 speed OD transmission with a factory Dana 44 rear axle

Is this "bend" causing the vibration?

Peter
    These vehicles were designed for right hand or left hand drive, confirm the engine and transmission are in the correct bolt holes.

Comment

On my 8E5 and 8E7 they have only one set of bolt holes for mounts, right in the center, and the drive shafts are like yours, with the jog to the right. It is usually that bearing that supports the middle of the shaft that gets loose from it's mountings or the bearing gets dry.

Comment

Try a simple bearing re/pack and go from there. Doofus

Comment

Also check to see if the shafts/U joints are in proper phase, there are usually arrows on each shaft that are supposed to point to each other to get the phase right. Could be someone, in the past, has replaced the center U joint and didn't pay any attention to this and it will cause vibrations.

Comment

Thanks for the input. In the Spring I will probably take the drive shaft out and take it to be balanced. I will check, repack or replace the center bearing.
            Peter

Comment

I need further education, I understood that a Champ truck was born a Lark? Was the body mounted on a truck frame? I understood the front half was a Lark and the box was from a Dodge. I have a Lark car and it has multiple engine and transmission mounting holes, for right or left hand drive and for long and short wheel base applications. David British Columbia

Comment

The Champ body was made by cutting a sedan in half behind the front doors. It was then mated to the standard truck chassis. The box came in several forms with the standard step side (fat fender) box which goes back to the '49 model year to the fleet side box. The Dodge box was the fleet side long box (8 foot).
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Alt; Here is a T-Cab frame.

[/URL]

The body is held on by only 4 bolts, 2 at the floor by where you would put your heel. And 2 on the cross member in the rear center of the cab, so basically you have a 3 point mounting.

Comment

champ

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    The Champ body was made by cutting a sedan in half behind the front doors. It was then mated to the standard truck chassis. The box came in several forms with the standard step side (fat fender) box which goes back to the '49 model year to the fleet side box. The Dodge box was the fleet side long box (8 foot).
                    Thank you for the response I thought the Champ truck was on a Lark frame. I can see there is only one set of holes for the engine and transmission Dave

Comment

Those side channels and rear crossmembers are definitely and specifically truck. IIR, car frames were boxed.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Alan's picture also points out it is an 8E frame by the bracket riveted to the left front frame rail for the pivot in the steering linkage. That linkage was not used on earlier Champs.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                        X