Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

50 Champion sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: 50 Champion sway bar

Anyone know of a stronger sway bar that will fit the 50 champion? I am looking to reduce the roll on corners as much as possible. I had thought of going to an older wrecking yard and see if I could find something that could be made to work. Also what would be the effect of installing stiffer springs? I have a pair of front coils from a 98 GMC Sonoma that will fit but are quite a bit stronger. It's not difficult to swap the front springs so I am thinking about trying this. Just wondering if there are any problems with this type of switch. Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

If you can fit a rear sway bar, the cornering will improve dramatically.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
      Anyone know of a stronger sway bar that will fit the 50 champion? I am looking to reduce the roll on corners as much as possible. I had thought of going to an older wrecking yard and see if I could find something that could be made to work. Also what would be the effect of installing stiffer springs? I have a pair of front coils from a 98 GMC Sonoma that will fit but are quite a bit stronger. It's not difficult to swap the front springs so I am thinking about trying this. Just wondering if there are any problems with this type of switch. Thanks
      Our 1947 Champion used to handle badly, and lean badly, on turns. For years I blamed this on the planar front suspension. Then, a couple of members of our Chapter said they thought the problem was with the rear springs. An excellent local spring shop made and installed one extra leaf below the main leaf on each rear spring, which solved the problem completely. Later I learned that a factory-installed heavy duty rear spring for this car was made the same way, one extra leaf.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
      X