motor identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: motor identification

I have 2 numbers on the front of my block,535601 & v474420, would like to know the year for future parts?

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp 1960 Lark, 259 c.i.

Comment

The 535601 is a casting number so thousands of engines share that number however the "stamped" number found on the left (drivers) side is no doubt where you found v474420. On the main page here you will find under "resources" the tab marked "updated, Studebaker V-8 engine identification" http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

That chart shows the starting numbers for the particular years, yours falling in the year 1960 with 259 cubic inch engine. The club website has tons of valuable info but what you cant find or question, just come on here & ask.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hi, welcome the SDC and the SDC forum! I can tell you are New around these parts!

If you think about it, anything that is Raised like that 535601 is going to be in the mold and on all Engines of that era. So the hand stamped INTO the Block, Engine Serial Number not the Casting number, is what you want.

We have a Link here, excessed from the Home page to decode the numbers:
        http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

thank you all, yes I'm new and don't like computers very well. will try to do better, trying to sort out what I bought

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
            thank you all, yes I'm new and don't like computers very well. will try to do better, trying to sort out what I bought
            Your not alone! I've got to depend on my wife many times to figure out how to do things on this but I'm sure you'll find that this forum is (at least in my opinion) the easiest to navigate around. I belong to 5 or 6 other forums but always am so pleased how much easier it is here & if you do have a problem there are many including those that oversee things that are more than willing to assist. Don't be shy, enjoy!!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
            X