1950 adjust radio push buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 1950 adjust radio push buttons

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the push buttons on the radio in my 50 champion? I know the clear part seems to pull out and turn but nothing happens. Do these move the dial indicator? Also I found the two left do not lock in like the other five do.
    Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

There are two different designs.

The ones with an ODD number of buttons, either 5 or 7 adjust like this:
    push in the button and turn the clear tip until the needle moves to the station you want.

The ones with a EVEN number of buttons, either 4 or 6 adjust like this.
    tune in the station manually with the manual tuning knob
    turn the button you want to set counter clockwise a turn or two
    push that button in
    let the button out and turn it clockwise until is is snug but not overly tight

The ODD number of buttons design is very fragile, fussy, susceptible to dust and dirt, and especially susceptible to being forced. There are little keeper rings on the mechanism that get torn off when the buttons or the manual tuning knob are forced by a heavy handed user. That's why the design was changed in mid 1950 to the one with an EVEN number of buttons.

Don't pull the clear tips out, just turn them. If the needle does not move, don't force them. The needle is screw driven in one direction and spring loaded in the other. If the needle skips, the mechanism is too dirty or rusty for the spring pressure. Turning the knob too hard when the mechanism is dirty or rusty is how they get broken.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-06-2014, 04:14 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks RadioRoy
      The radio seems to be operating, after it warms up it picks up static and what sounds like a mix of very week stations, but the dial does not move. I have an old chassis like it that is beyond repair and I was looking at it to see how to remove the bezel but so far have not been able to get it loose. From what I can see it looks like the buttons move the tuning slugs directly and should work without the dial moving. I had in mind tuning in a few of the buttons to local stations if that would work. I just got the car home and have not removed the radio. I am also going to install an aux input jack for use with an mp3 player, I have around 5 days of big band and 50s rock mp3 files on jump drives I use when traveling.
      sigpic
      Barn Find
      1950 Champion
      Before I started
      Jim Berry
      Midlothian, TX

Comment

Unless your car has been upgraded to 12 volt you may have problems with outside sources of tunes.

Comment

Jim,

Shoot me an email and I will explain how to take off the bezel without damaging the fine wires to the three tuning coils.

The "obvious" way to do it is the wrong way.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
          X