control arm bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: control arm bushings

Anyone know what brand x control arm bushings will fit the gt hawk upper inner control arms? As near as I can tell they are 1" long x 1.250 with a 11/16 inner shaft size.

Most of our Studebaker vendors carry them in stock.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

There are no "Brands" to choose from, they are all made by Harris and sold by Studebaker Vendors.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hopefully, our vendors' are all fairly new. No matter where you find them, look closely at the rubber. If there are cracks anywhere, do not use them, unless specifically for a TQ.

The last cracked set (NOS from yester-decade) I installed disintegrated in about a thousand miles. I replaced them with new, about 10,000 miles ago, and they are still fine.

Again, do not use cracked ones, even if they are free.

Comment

Are any of the new replacement bushings made of polyurathane?

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by dtracy View Post
            Are any of the new replacement bushings made of polyurathane?

Dave.
            Not to my knowledge but you can find Delrin if you want, I have a set on my 74 Avanti.

It would not be hard to machine polyurethane if you had a lathe. Polyurethane is available in round stock on the internet if you can't find it locally.

Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-05-2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Yes I know most of the Studebaker vendor have them but most want around $70. for the 4 upper bushings. Most brand x's can be had for around $20. for the 4 top bushings. I can get a set for a 70 chevelle for real close to $20. I know $50 isn't a lot of money but you save 50 here and 20 there enough times and maybe you can build a car that's worth $16,000 for closer to the $16,000 than THE $80,000 most spend to restore one. I'am sure the bushings the stude vendors are selling also fit something else.

Comment

Hi,
                There is a company in Melbourne Aust "Studebaker reproduction parts & high tech suspension" who manufacture hi-tech plastic bushes (with grease nipples), front and rear, for Studebaker. Cost is $160 US. e-bay seller tag is "wrx1997" Quentin.

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  Hi,
                  There is a company in Melbourne Aust "Studebaker reproduction parts & high tech suspension" who manufacture hi-tech plastic bushes (with grease nipples), front and rear, for Studebaker. Cost is $160 US. e-bay seller tag is "wrx1997" Quentin.
                  I have used those bushings before and I have a set in the front of my Lark but yet to drive this one. I also have a set manufactured in the US. The differences are that the ones from Australia have the original metal outer and the US made ones are just the Delrin. I prefer the US ones but I have not driven with them to compare so I guess the jury is still out.

There are some Chevrolet k5196 bushings that are close to the upper inner Studebaker part at a cost of under $5 a pair at Autozone. I have a set that I compared but have not used them in a car. They appear to be compatible but the small differences might be enough to render them too tight or loose. If you have the time and tools it would not be a great lose to try them out. In the photos I have an old Studebaker and the new k5196. They are on and old slightly bent shaft so some angles do appear off. I have no idea of the durometer readings of each to say if there would be any ride quality change. This could also make other interchangeable bushings available. We just need someone to try them out. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...?keyword=k5196 for another price.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from our vendors. I'm just answering the question.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                    Hi,
                    I have heard a lot of negative feedback on these bushes. The most common complaint is that they are just too stiff for the chassis and usually lead to cracks in the cross member. Play it safe and stick with the factory parts, they are readily available and being newly manufactured so there should be no age related issues.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      I have heard a lot of negative feedback on these bushes. The most common complaint is that they are just too stiff for the chassis and usually lead to cracks in the cross member. Play it safe and stick with the factory parts, they are readily available and being newly manufactured so there should be no age related issues.

Chris.
                      I agree, Chris.

Joe

Comment

Skybolt. The k5196 crosses to a 64-72 chevelle and full size chev 66-70. That was what I had come up with that looked like a possible also. Looks like maybe .250 to long but that could be fixed with a 1/4 spacer. Cost at rockauto Moog $6.00 or fed. Moguls for less than $2.50. I'am going to order the federals and see if they can be made to work. Most that can happen is I have to push them back out and be out about $3.00 with shipping.

Comment

For what it's worth Studebaker used solid steel bushings on the 51 and 52 upper inners and didn't have any worse frame cracking than with the rubber bushings that replaced them.
                          Last edited by bezhawk; 12-05-2014, 09:13 PM.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                            Skybolt. The k5196 crosses to a 64-72 chevelle and full size chev 66-70. That was what I had come up with that looked like a possible also. Looks like maybe .250 to long but that could be fixed with a 1/4 spacer. Cost at rockauto Moog $6.00 or fed. Moguls for less than $2.50. I'am going to order the federals and see if they can be made to work. Most that can happen is I have to push them back out and be out about $3.00 with shipping.
                            I bought the ones I have to confirm the use of upper control arms for a ball joint conversion. Using the original Studebaker control arm shaft and a new adjustable control arm made for a Chevy it would be an easier conversion. I have not had much time to work on it lately but other bushings made for the models you mentioned could also be of use.

For example these below are urethane if Delrin are too hard. Again I must state I have not used any of these Chevrolet spec bushes in real car tests so I can not confirm that they will work. I am supplying this as information only. Safety is priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                              I have used those bushings before and I have a set in the front of my Lark but yet to drive this one. I also have a set manufactured in the US. The differences are that the ones from Australia have the original metal outer and the US made ones are just the Delrin. I prefer the US ones but I have not driven with them to compare so I guess the jury is still out.

There are some Chevrolet k5196 bushings that are close to the upper inner Studebaker part at a cost of under $5 a pair at Autozone. I have a set that I compared but have not used them in a car. They appear to be compatible but the small differences might be enough to render them too tight or loose. If you have the time and tools it would not be a great lose to try them out. In the photos I have an old Studebaker and the new k5196. They are on and old slightly bent shaft so some angles do appear off. I have no idea of the durometer readings of each to say if there would be any ride quality change. This could also make other interchangeable bushings available. We just need someone to try them out. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...?keyword=k5196 for another price.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from our vendors. I'm just answering the question.
                              Good info....Well detailed....Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X