Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rbigcal
    replied
    JRD International, they have glass for classic cars made in Taiwan. As far as I know they are the only ones that make windshields and back glass for Studebakers, unless you find nos someplace.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    Who is JRD?

Leave a comment:

• rbigcal
    replied
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    Sounds like 'transfer' from a crate and likely from shipping. See if it is water souluble or chemical souluble by testing a spot with glass cleaner or wax & grease remover/ Laq. thinner. I have seen it before, and it may wipe off with the right product.
    Ok Mike you win the best answer prize ! lol I had tried different solvents etc. already, but nothing worked, even razor blade would not phase it. I ended up trying "sparkle" glass cleaner and stain remover. I had it to remove some water spots in the past on a mustang. Swirl mark remover might have worked also. It wasn't easy I used a 3m squeegee block under terry cloth towel and it took a lot of elbow grease, but I didn't have a small enough polishing pad and was afraid to use a felt bob. So now all I have is a small scratch on the inside of the glass, which I did see when I removed the glass from the box, I didn't think it was worth the hassle to return. Anyway JRD does not consider scratches deffects, at least that's what they implied. At least seems like they would have advised me to try cleaning with mild abrasive cleaner or whatever. I will avoid purchases from JRD in the future. I've had sleepless nights worrying about this.

Leave a comment:

• rbigcal
    replied
    [QUOTE=kurtruk;886857]Whether you or your professional glass installer installed it, a thorough inspection should have taken place BEFORE installation! Inspection is supposed to happen with the shipper still present. That way it can be proven that you received it that way,---or not.

The shipper, is not going to wait while you completely un pack and inspect that carefully. He was in such a hurry to leave, he barely gave me time to just see if it was broken. UPS is the same way been there done that. These marks were not obvious until later on, even now in certain light you might not see it.

I

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Whether you or your professional glass installer installed it, a thorough inspection should have taken place BEFORE installation! Inspection is supposed to happen with the shipper still present. That way it can be proven that you received it that way,---or not.

Rubs (from contact with another piece of glass) or scratches can be polished out. However, if they can be felt with the fingernail some distortion is likely. Inconsequential if near the edge, bothersome to some if in driver's primary line of sight.
    Last edited by kurtruk; 12-05-2014, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 70Avanti2
    replied
    If you cant feel the scratch it can be polished out.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    And, if it comes down to it, you should be able to push the windshield out without damaging your new rubber. Not necessary to cut it unless it is very old and brittle.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Sounds like 'transfer' from a crate and likely from shipping. See if it is water souluble or chemical souluble by testing a spot with glass cleaner or wax & grease remover/ Laq. thinner. I have seen it before, and it may wipe off with the right product.

Leave a comment:

• rbigcal
    started a topic Body / Glass: Wagonaire windshield from JRD

Wagonaire windshield from JRD

Has anyone else had defects in a JRD windshield? I saw a small scratch before getting it installed, but a few months later after getting dash and doors back on, I discovered there are white marks and scuffed looking areas down both sides of the new glass. I guess after putting dash etc on it made sort of a dark background that made this stuff show better. The glass is supposed to have 1 year warranty, but they had me send pics then said it looked like scratches instead of defects. Now they said they can have a truck pick up this one, but if they find it's not defective then I will be billed for trucking. They seem to be implying that scratches are not defects. So in other words I paid $400.00 for a piece of crap. A professional glass guy looked at it and said from his experience the company would come up with some pie in the sky bs about it was damaged during install or miss handled. I will have to pay to have this one removed and possibly get broken during the process, I didn't want to cut the expensive new rubber either. Just wondered if anybody else has experienced problems like this ? This car seems to be jinxed or something. One problem after another
Working...
X