Power steering difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power steering difficulties

I have radial tires and shorter steering arms from an Avanti on my Sky Hawk. This has made the steering quite hard at low speeds. Would a larger, more heavy duty pump help?
    peter lee

No.

The steering system trades distance for force. Anything that makes it steer quicker will require the driver to exert more force.

You have already modified the original design by changing/shortening the steering arms. Further modification to the system will only make things unreliable. A larger pump will only overtax the rest of the hydraulic system and will cause seal failures.

Did you also put on a smaller steering wheel? That will make it worse.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-04-2014, 05:31 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

No, I've got the same wheel. Can you offer me any other remedies?
      peter lee

Comment

Hello Peter, my wife's '57 Silver Hawk is modified also with radials, quick steering arms and 14 1/2 custom wheel and Saginaw offset power steering(factory) with no problems. Have you had the alignment checked? Doofus

Comment

The steering system trades distance for force. Anything that makes it steer quicker will require the driver to exert more force.
          Yes on a manual or armstrong system.

No, not on a PS system. The hydraulic pump develops plenty of pressure to assist and the valve admits the pressure to the ram as needed to overcome whatever resistance is encountered in the steering action.

Maybe, there's something not as it should be in the mechanical parts or in the PS system. I've used quick steering arms on other PS cars with no noticeable increase in slow speed steering. When everything is new, correct and aligned the OEM PS system has enough hydraulic pressure to handle the quick arms.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Perhaps the PS fluid level is low? I'll check that.
            peter lee

Comment

Everyone keep in mind that apparently (If Car is Stock) we are talking about the Saginaw Integral Power Steering System here, not the Bendix slave cylinder type.

The adjustment of the Control Valve portion of these steering gears is very sensitive, and you have to wonder how well quick steering arms will work with this system.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Don't forget the condition of your kingpins and front springs, this makes a big difference in steering effort.

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Everyone keep in mind that apparently (If Car is Stock) we are talking about the Saginaw Integral Power Steering System here, not the Bendix slave cylinder type.

The adjustment of the Control Valve portion of these steering gears is very sensitive, and you have to wonder how well quick steering arms will work with this system.
                  Good eye, Rich. Now that I think about it, I've never installed quick arms on a car with the Saginaw system and it's an entirely different animal.

IIRC, both the control valve and the pump output pressure are adjustable.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

HEY GUYS READ POST 4 dOOFUS

Comment

And I also have '53 coupe with the Bendix linkage type power steering, quick steering arms and 7in wide rims w/radials. installing quick steering arms changes toe-in. Doofus

Comment

Where have the kingpins been serviced? By the owner or a shop? Remember the upper kingpin bearing doesn't get it's grease as easily as the lower making it possible for the upper to be on the verge of being seized or at least very tight.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                          And I also have '53 coupe with the Bendix linkage type power steering, quick steering arms and 7in wide rims w/radials. installing quick steering arms changes toe-in. Doofus
                          Aren't the tie rod linkages used to adjust toe in/out? Just needs a re-adjustment after installation of the quick steer arms, right?

Comment

You guys are so freakin' smart! I have to decide whether or not to ask my mechanic check it out. He is very good and reliable, but expensive! I think he charges me $100 for making an appointment, another hundred for bringing it into the shop, still another c-note for putting it on the lift, etc. Maybe having to use a little effort to steer at low speeds isn't so hard after all...
                            peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                              You guys are so freakin' smart! I have to decide whether or not to ask my mechanic check it out. He is very good and reliable, but expensive! I think he charges me $100 for making an appointment, another hundred for bringing it into the shop, still another c-note for putting it on the lift, etc. Maybe having to use a little effort to steer at low speeds isn't so hard after all...
                              Wow ! I guess that is one reason why many folks give up on driving their Studes. Its too bad, good work at reasonable prices is going by the wayside. Your mech may be good, but if he is not affordable, he may as well not exist. Then again, an expensive shop, does not always guarantee the person is knowledgeable on 50 year old cars. Seriously, $100 just to make an appointment?

Comment

Working...
                              X