Correct color on 1961 Power Steering Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Correct color on 1961 Power Steering Unit

power steering - what color was this unit typically painted? It appears as if mine had a light coat of silver-gray. Is this the correct color combination for this unit for the 1961 model year? My car was built in mid December of 1960. I've read that most earlier units were semi-gloss black. Also, were the master cylinder and steering gear ever painted?

Thanks,
    Albert

Steering Gear =semi gloss Black.

Master cylinder = bare iron, (use Eastwood or Duplicolor Cast Iron Gray Engine Enamel)

I am guessing you are asking about the Power Steering PUMP =Silver Gray with Aluminum Silver Engine Enamel overspray, this is not THAT critical, because some did vary (Black W/Engine Color overspray), most '61's would have a Silver/Gray Lid also, it has been way too many years since I looked at many of these when New to be sure, it is better to have someone chime in who ACTUALLY still owns a '61 V8 from New, and has not repainted it.

There COULD be one or two "original" '61 owners left who did not modify anything yet, but best bet is get it a Color that was used on "some".
    The Power Steering Pumps are a "replacement item" so few are original. If you do not paint it Red or Blue you will not lose any points!

I am sorry, I purposely did not answer this question on your Engine Color Post, because there is always someone who says something like: mine is not a '61, but it is Green!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2014, 11:30 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you for the info! I'm guessing that the pump in my car is original since it conforms to the silver-gray that you mention.

Comment

Working...
      X