Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: what is it called

Hi, this is my first post so excuse the lack of specific terminology
    What is the name of the tool used to remove the "nut?" that has 2 indentations on it that is used to secure the toggle switches on the 63 GT Hawk's high/low fan,headlights,dash light, and the wiper blades. The "nut" is exterior on the lower face of the dash. I kind of remember seeing a tool that looks like a socket with 2 inside prongs to tighten/loosen this "nut"
    thank you for the responses in advance
    Mark

Perhaps a notched bezel spanner? Try a pair of small needle nose pliers
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Chuck Collins sells those.....
      https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.htmlClick image for larger version

Name:	j-56-64-34.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1693043
      So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Available here if you find you need the correct tool.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html

Usually can be done without, but your results may vary.

EDIT: Note there are two sizes.
        Last edited by kurtruk; 11-30-2014, 08:40 PM.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

You can make a tool with a piece of copper pipe and a file.

Comment

I like your idea. Thank you jimmijim
            Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
            You can make a tool with a piece of copper pipe and a file.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I made one using a spent CO2 cartridge from an air gun. Merely saw off the end and file notches to fit the bezel nut.

By the way, MCH...WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Well...I originally posted the above and went outside to do some chores. While sanding a cabinet, I thought about what I posted. So, I decided to come back in and edit my post.

"Filing notches," is incorrect, actually, you file the small cylindrical end of the cartridge leaving too small protrusions/points that will fit into the notches in the bezel nut. Knowing this crowd, someone would have probably corrected me.

Also, someone has already mentioned using needle nose pliers. That works too, but, it also requires a very delicate touch. If those pliers slip, some fairly awful scratches can be imparted in very obvious and difficult areas to repair.
              Last edited by jclary; 12-01-2014, 11:15 AM.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

About 10 or 15 years ago I found a Craftsman deep well socket in the cul-de-sac at work. I tossed it in the tool box and said "someday I will take it to Sears and have them replace it." That never happened. It turned out to be the exact size needed to make my own bezel tool. I just used a dremel.
                Carey
                Packard Hawk

Comment

I bought a set like this years ago for removing power antenna assemblies but it seems that new cars don't have them anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-TOOl-Inter...#ht_303wt_1153

Comment

I just took an old socket and ground the notches into it.

Comment

To those members who replied, thanks a lot. I am appreciative. While my post was new I am an owner of a '64R2 Avanti that has had 4 restorations since I bought it about 6 years ago. I did the first, a uninsured female slammed into my car 6 months after a frame on restoration, in the shop for 14 months. 6 months later another idiot who was texting ran into me; same accident damage. Another restoration, the 2 years ago Hurricane Sandy, 20K and 8 months later a beauty again. I bought the 63 GT Hawk from the 97yr old original owner; he passed 2 months ago.
                      Living in NJ I work in NYC and do drive both cars in and out of the City on clear dry days. So far, those drives are without incident.
                      Again, thanks for your help.
                      Happy Holidays
                      Mark

Comment

thanks for this link, I just ordered that part and something else, greatly appreciated. Happy & Healthy Studebaker driving
                        Mark

Comment

mch, welcome to the forum. Best wishes with having better luck in avoiding idiot drivers when driving your classics.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I bought a tool years ago that has 2 sizes of spanner sockets, one on each end with a screwdriver type handle in between.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                            X