289? engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289? engine

Just started to pull the engine apart that was on the frame of a 62 hawk parts car that I picked up. Block casting# is 535601, engine # P 88997 so looks like it is a 289. Head cast # on outside in center #1555294. Couldn't see any numbers under the valve cover and heads are off. Block has some rust so would need oversize pistons but I've seen rougher engines get rebuilt. Looks like the heads where rebuilt and bolted on and then never run but intake was left off and I was told the car sat in a storage lot in Yuma, Az. for years and the guy was parting it out. It was just a shell when I got it. I know the heads could be cleaned up and reused. May need just a clean up on the valves & a quick pass with a valve grinder which I have. Are there other numbers on the heads somewhere and are they just standard 62 289 heads?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by swvalcon; 11-30-2014, 10:34 AM.

Stamped P on the ID stage indicates a 289 engine, should have dished pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
      Stamped P on the ID stage indicates a 289 engine, should have dished pistons.
      That's strange. Stella, my '55 President Cp. had the engine it left SB with and the engine number started with a 'P'.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Well, just write that off as being just another weird oddity of "55's!
        A very bad year for Studebaker Packard and their Cars, but a Good year for overall Quality and fit & Finish compared to '53 and '54.

There is hardly anything they did not change, mess with, and overly complicate on '55's.

Wraparound Windshields on Late Sedans/Wagons

224 Engines on early Commanders

And among MANY others, President 185 H.P. 4 Brl. 259's numbered as "P" 's!

Different Paint schemes on South Bend vs Los Angeles Cars.

One year Only 2 Inch Tail Pipes.

1955 Only V8 Oil Pumps.

ON and On and on.

"P-101 1955 President 6H
        259"
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-29-2014, 03:30 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a list of V-8 heads used and the 1555294 is a typical head that would give 8.25-1 compression when using the thin metal gasket (0.020 thick). I believe it was used from 1957 on.

Comment

Thanks Turismo Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo Tom View Post
              I have a list of V-8 heads used and the 1555294 is a typical head that would give 8.25-1 compression when using the thin metal gasket (0.020 thick). I believe it was used from 1957 on.
              That Head is mostly a 1962 only head, 1955 to 1961's were 537555 Casting Number, NOT Part Number.

Although, it is no big deal since all but the Truck Heads are 8.25 or 8.5 to 1 anyway.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-01-2014, 12:02 AM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Do we know specifically what were the changes between the '62-only 1555294 and the '55-61 537555?

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Do we know specifically what were the changes between the '62-only 1555294 and the '55-61 537555?jack vines
                  You know Jack that IS a great question. All I have ever seen is very slight combustion chamber cc changes, mostly between Truck or Export, Low Comp. and Standard, but why all the Standard 8.25 or 8.50 Comp. Heads (depending on who or what you believe) with very little difference.

The only Diff. we know about is the Rocker Arm Stand, Rocker Shaft and Pushrod change in '61 which MAY have changed the deck height (Thickness) of the Heads.

It would be really a good "Sticky String" to have here, if someone would Pull the Blueprints and find out the real answers.

Like how would that '62 Head be ANY different than the '55-'61 or the '63-'64 1557570 Casting, all with basically the same Comp. which could be changed MORE with a Thick Gasket (that was never used after 1956 for Domestic Cars) than with a slightly "tweaked" New casting.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                  X