Avanti windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti windshield

It seems my glass shop sourced a new windshield for my '63 R2 and when they went to install it they said it was missing the cutout along the bottom for the raised gunsight contour. They will be keeping the car inside thier shop under my car cover until they get the correct glass but they want to know when the cut of the glass changed. I couldn't answer that question. Can someone let me know so I can tell them and get my car back?

It is full winter here now and I am really reluctant to drive the car home once it is fixed but I guess I will have no choice.

Thanks

I don't remember that cut changing on Studebaker Avantis.
    Be sure to use a very good glass shop. In my opinion, Avanti windshields are difficult to install correctly.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      In my opinion, Avanti windshields are difficult to install correctly.
      Come' on! difficult?
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

By your description your glass shop might have sourced the wrong windshield. They may have purchased a windshield that was used for a 4 door Avanti , this did not have the cutout for the gunsight contour.

Bob Caser
        mrbobinc

Comment

PHILLIPS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS is the place to go for your Avanti. He has a "business card" ad in almost every TURNING WHEELS & is great to deal with. I get my flat glass cut locally, but all the other stuff came from him. Your installer can order it from him.

Comment

I installed the windshield in my Avanti & wouldn't call it difficult at all. The back glass I had done by a professional. I didn't want to chance it.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

OK. So I talked with my glass shop and they say they have found the correct glass. It will be a couple of weeks enroute so they are storing the car in their shop under my car cover.

I had a look at the car with the old windshield removed and it seems somebody used copious amounts of silicone goop to try to seal up a previous installation. What a mess. I have advised the installer about using the proper sealants and techniques when putting in the new windshield. I also left my copy of the Avanti Shop Manual with him. Hopefully he will "read the instructions" before finishing the job. Since I am having the rear window removed and re-sealed at the same time I hope he will heed my advice...

I know a fellow up here with a 4-door Avanti so I will let him know there is a windshield in town if he needs one.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                I installed the windshield in my Avanti & wouldn't call it difficult at all. The back glass I had done by a professional. I didn't want to chance it.
                The rear is not very difficult, but does require three people to install it.
                Jim Bradley
                Lake Monticello, VA
                '78 Avanti II
                sigpic

Comment

When I restored my brothers 63, I had a glass co. do the removal and install of the windshield and back glass. Even following the shop manual, and mention to them of possible leak areas, after they were done, it leaks. They redid it this past summer and I don't know the results yet. It hasn't been out in the rain to give it a test. These installers are top notch, and even they have trouble with the Avanti windows. Soooo, if it were me, I'd really stress to your installers the need to make sure the windows don't leak upon completing the install! Good luck and let us know how it turns out, Bill.

Comment

The windshield on my 1987 Avanti leaked when it was brand new.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                      My three "people" included my then-12-year-old son and his buddy, whom I had sit on the outside of the window as I pulled the string around the inside gasket. It's in there pretty well and is watertight. As you guys know, one must use one's available resources

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post

My glass guy installed it by himself! All I did was watch him! But, he's been doing glass work for a very long time!

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Tom,

It's good to hear that SOMETHING went well during your restoration! You've had more than your fair share of gremlins. Actually, when I installed the rear glass in my '63, I had one assistant. We got it in OK, but that is why I suggest three, one inside and one on each side, outside.

One tip that I would suggest is to set the glass in place without the gasket and get it exactly centered. With a strip of masking tape on both the bottom of the glass and the body, mark a vertical line. Install the gasket, and align these centering marks. Getting started in the exact center will save a lot of grief when you get to the sides of the glass.
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

I stopped at the glass shop Friday and they are still waiting on the proper new glass but they have the back glass out and will be re-installing it with the new gasket I supplied to them. The front glass is an insurance thing but the back glass is out of my own pocket.

The installer had one comment. "where did they find so much silicone back in 1963?"... It seems both shields were last installed using copious amounts of silicone goop to seal them in. I hope they don't charge too much for removing the mess that was left behind!

It looks to me like the person who had the car restored in 1986 or earlier (I have a "certificate" that was supplied with the car that states it was restored in 1986) took it to a shop that had NO IDEA what they were doing when they re-installed the glass. Even the A pillar stainless mouldings were beat up during a previous removal. I have supplied the shop with excellent used replacement mouldings to install and will try my hand at refurbishing the damaged trim some time down the road. I expect to see a night and day difference when the car comes back to me.

As for the 4-door windshield that started this thread, if anybody needs one they should contact Crystal Glass in Canada. We all now know where there is one to be found north of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                              By your description your glass shop might have sourced the wrong windshield. They may have purchased a windshield that was used for a 4 door Avanti , this did not have the cutout for the gunsight contour.

Bob Caser
                              Is this a fact? The 1990 still had the asymmetrical "gunsight" bulge on the hood.
                              I am not saying that you are incorrect because I do not know and I am trying to learn. It seems odd to me that they would change the windshield.
                              Which "style" was used for the 1991 convertibles?
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X