Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door, ignition, trunk key different ona GT Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEEMAC
    replied
    When I bought my 63 Lark I got no keys at all so I took my trunk lock down to our local key smith and he made me two keys for five bucks, took my door locks down yesterday to have keys made for them, drilled the hole in housing so he could take the cylinder out if he wanted to, said he did not need that but was ok anyway . Much cheaper than buying new locks. Sure nice having a few old experts still around. Mac

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Thank you for posting that link Robert, that is some SERIOUSLY Interesting History that I am sure most people like myself, have never heard of about the 1908 "Economy Model G" 4 Passenger "Motor Buggy".

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    That building was built in 1908 for the Economy Motor Buggy Co.
    That was the year of the Model "T" introduction and that put them out of business.
    The best way is to email me or PM.
    I am staying home most of the time.
    It cost a fortune to heat that building.
    I only go there for an hour or so each day, to ship parts.

http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=G...ee0b5&rssr=rss

Robert Kapteyn
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 11-28-2014, 08:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael J Hawk
    replied
    That is an impressive building. Looks like my old high school.

Leave a comment:

• Michael J Hawk
    replied
    Thanks for the advice StudeRich. I checked and my car does indeed have a knurled bezel. The key I have is small and doesn't even look like an ignition key. Probably why it fits the trunk so well. I'm definitely changing it out. The door locks look a bit of work. I found the build sheet and it has the key numbers on it. I'll give Robert in Joliet a call and see if he has one.
    Last edited by Michael J Hawk; 11-27-2014, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    Not even tofu turkey.
    I am a vegetarian so maybe a nice salad.
    You are welcome to visit and browse my huge inventory

http://www.studebakerstore.com/Stude...m/Welcome.html

Robert Kapteyn

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Wow Robert, if that 3 story Building is full of your Stude. Parts it is close to at least Half the size of the Engineering Building that housed the 2nd. SASCO Warehouse stock!

Only 2137.5 Miles from here, and 30.44 hrs. I'm there! You got a Turkey in the oven?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Michael, your Ignition Key does not actually "FIT" the trunk, it merely happens to open it! The stock (If it is) Yale Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder has 5 Tumblers same as the Door Locks, the trunk lock, uses a totally DIFFERENT Key Blank, and has only 4, which means a shorter 4 Cut Key.

Because it is a rather cheap desk drawer type lock, the Glove and Trunk lock can be opened with most any Blank that will fit into it, and more so with years of wear.

As I mentioned in Post #3, you can get the right stuff and end your frustration with no Door Locks.

Leave a comment:

• Michael J Hawk
    replied
    My '61 Hawk came with one key only which fit the ignition and the trunk. I don't care about the glove box but I would like to be able to lock the doors.

Leave a comment:

• savannahgreg
    replied
    I ordered the production sheet two days ago but it says it takes 4 to 6 weeks. Any way, very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    Boot

Originally posted by savannahgreg View Post
    I received my 63 Hawk with only the ignition key. The trunk was locked. The ignition works neither trunk or doors. I ordered new blanks for the trunk/doors but are they separate? The locksmith will want to know. I can pull the door cylinder easy enough to rekey and I read on the Forum how to get into the trunk if needed to open it to pull the cylinder but wanted to know ahead of time what I was facing. Thanks
    I got in to my trunk by removing the rear seat and attached several 1/4 or 3/8 drive extensions together using a cordless drill and removed the 4 - 3/8" latch bolts. Dave British Columbia

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    The trunk and glove box keys are the same when it came from the factory.
    Studebker sold the trunk and glove box locks as a set.
    If you have the production order (birth certificate , build sheet) of the car , it will give you the key numbers.If the car still has the original locks ,I have a large collection of numbered keys and I may have your key.
    I also have the key cut tables and my friendly locksmith will make one.
    Robert Kapteyn
    http://www.studebakerstore.com/Stude...m/Welcome.html

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Rich, from what I have been told the glove box has one less tumbler than the trunk, so it's best to use that one.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yes the Door and Ignition Locks WERE the same, most likely your Ignition Switch and or Lock Cyl. has been replaced with a mismatched Lock.

It will be easier to remove your Glove Box Lock to be keyed, if it is still a match to the trunk as it should be. The chances are it still is, but you never know.

If the Ignition Lock has a knurled NUT visable on the dash the Entire Switch and Lock have been replaced with a aftermarket unit as MANY, way TOO many eBay Cars seem to be.

One problem with that other than being UGLY, is that the 4 Tumbler Lock can not be matched to the 5 Tumbler Lock on the Doors.

You can buy the complete New correct Chrome or Aluminum Bezel, Ign. Switch, Lock and Door Lock Set and Trunk Lock with Keys from Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendors.com

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The factory keyed the door locks to match the ignition. They keyed the trunk lock to match the glove box.
    Many tumblers have been changed over the years for various reasons, without regard to their intended matches.
    If you ordered key blanks, you will still need to supply your locksmith with the tumblers you would like them to match.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X