Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Lark Idle Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Lark Idle Problem

My '63 Lark with a 259 and three speed manual (no overdrive) stalls out after stopping only when the engine is warm. I seems to stall mainly when I coast down in gear to a stop then put the car in neutral at about 5-10 miles per hour right before the stop. The engine will idle for 30-60 seconds after the stop and then the RPM drops within 15 seconds to zero. Pumping the gas once after the stall, the car restarts almost immediately and runs fine. When I put the Lark in neutral at a higher speed it does not stall when stopped. It has an electric fuel pump. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

electric fuel pump problems... pressure ?

Comment

Partially plugged filter
      Low fuel pressure
      Low float level
      Misadjusted mixture screws
      Low ignition timing
      Tiny leak in the low pressure side of the fuel line (between the tank and pump)
      Low idle speed

There's a few points to look at

Mike

Comment

As Mike said, I'd increase the low idle speed a bit...The carb would probably also benefit from a 'freshening up'.... overhaul and cleanout.

Comment

I have the same problem with my '63 Lark. I put a timing light on it and found the timing was really late. Mind you it is all I can do to see the mark past the power steering unit but I have advanced it a bunch, no idea about numbers, and it seems to like the new setting much better. A bit of adjusting on the carb also helped. I haven't had it on the road to try out.

We had freezing rain last night so I am thinking with the new Turner brakes I just installed not yet set up, now is probably not a good time to take the car for a test drive.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            As Mike said, I'd increase the low idle speed a bit...The carb would probably also benefit from a 'freshening up'.... overhaul and cleanout.
            Just did that to my '64 before I stored it for the winter. Have not had a long enough run thoroughly test it yet but the idle speed certainly helped. Before I adjusted the speed it would stall at stoplights when warm unless it was in neutral.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
            X