Rear Trans Mount, '63 Hawk w/ 4-spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Rear Trans Mount, '63 Hawk w/ 4-spd

Noticed that the rear 4-spd motor mount/insulator can be installed w/ the trans location about 5/8" to the rear or front. The mount is a real pain to remove /replace. Cannot tell from the pic's or description in the parts or shop manuals as which is correct/best.
    Does anyone know if the mount should be oriented toward the front or toward the rear? Could save me a heap of time and hassle.

As always, thanks for your help.
    Paul TK

Try towards the rear....I say that because a friend had a '64 GT four speed with that mount installed backwards and the driveshaft slip joint looked like it wasn't into the trans far enough.

Comment

I am currently doing an engine swap a 259 V8 in to a 54 Champion. The front mounts have two holes
      fore-and-aft about 5/8" apart for left hand, right hand drive applications. The rear mount may go in either way. I didn't find it too difficult to remove and turn around, I unbolted the two small bolts in the batwing lifted the rear of the engine/transmission as high as possible and unbolted the rear mount turned it around and re bolted it in and lowered the unit. I am doing an engine swap but the same procedure would apply to an installation or replacement. I am not familiar with a GT Hawk four speed but is it a 289 Studebaker or a Packard. The 259 unit I have has the mount on the Bellhousing therefore the transmission is not affected, I assume the 289 is the same.

Comment

It is installed with the vertical steel "plate" covering/protecting the rubber of the mount from oil at the FRONT. If still not sure, it mounts so as to install the engine toward the rear-most of the two possible positions. I just turned one around to move my LS3 install about 3/4" forward. All the best.

Comment

Thanks! I'll try the rear-most location (50% chance of getting it right! Right?
          Paul TK

Comment

Working...
          X