Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fuel pump mounting bolt fell into Bermuda Triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump mounting bolt fell into Bermuda Triangle

At least as far as I can tell. I removed the fuel pump, and did the
    tech article that I am sure many of you have seen. I have ONE bolt.
    The other one was on the fuel pump when I pulled it off the timing
    cover. I had to snake the fuel pump out, but I never remember hearing
    the bolt fall to the floor. I have searched the front crossmember top
    and pinch welded rolled edges front and rear. Top of the lower A-Arms
    and on top of the center link. No dice. Where the heck did the bolt
    go too? I think it might have been abducted by aliens for metallurgy
    testing to find out why Studebakers last so long. Its possible that
    aliens are waiting to attack, but fear our superior Studebakers. Its
    very possible that I let the entire planet down with my negligence.
    Can anyone give me some advice as to where the bolt might have ended
    up? This will put my mind at ease. I could just get another bolt,
    but the remaining bolt is lonely - they had been together a long time.

This is on the 63 Avanti, you know, those fiberglass Packard powered
    ones built in Canada??

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Man .. its GONE. I dont get it, I have never had a bolt disappear
    like this. Even the lock washer is gone. I searched the garage and
    the frame for about 6 hours tonight. I used a magnet on a telescope
    and a screwdriver. I even turned the floorjack over to see if it got
    stuck in there somehow. I checked the floor all around, & also used
    the magnet. This is totally bizarre. I removed the inner bolt first
    and then the outer one, it was the outer that I lost track of. I was
    not able to hold both the fuel pump and the bolt, so I let the bolt
    stay in the fuel pump housing. I had to tilt the pump WAY down to
    get it out of the timing cover and clear the power steering pump. It
    should have just fallen on the floor. Is there ANY WAY that the bolt
    could have ended up inside the timing cover?? Obviously aliens didnt
    take it, but if its in the engine, that would be bad. I dont like to
    have bolts unaccounted for. This is quite unfortunate. I need to
    get the Avanti out of the garage so I can cut the hole in the back of
    the garage so I can get the Firebird into the backyard and remove the
    front suspension to fix the Camaro that my wife wrecked last night.

Dang my back hurts.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I don't know where your bolt went to but I can assure you of this: As soon as you use another one instead and get the job all done, the missing one will suddenly appear somewhere close by like magic!

Comment

I didn't go back and look, but does it show up in any of your pictures?

If so, it probaby traveled with the pump to a new location.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
        53 Starliner Hardtop
        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

It's still stuck in the swivel socket you used?

Dwain G.

Comment

If I spent six hours looking for every bolt that fell into parts unknown, I'd get nothing done. N8 and I just pick them up in the driveway later, or here them drop out as we head up the road. I've even lost a tool or two on occasion or found one lost by a previous owner.
            Of course, you bolt could have bounced off something, fell into the timing cover and will lock up the engine. [}]

Studebaker On The Net
            http://stude.com
            Studebaker News Group
            http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
            Arnold Md.
            65 Sports Sedan(sold)
            64 Daytona HT
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            63 GT Hawk
            63 Avanti R1/AC
            63 Avanti R2/4 speed
            63 Daytona HT
            63 Lark 2 dr.
            62 Lark 2 door
            62 GT(parts car)
            60 Lark convert
            60 Hawk
            57 Silver Hawk
            52 Starliner(sold)
            51 Commander
            50 Champion (sold)
            JDP Maryland

Comment

JP, you're forever the optimist[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JDP

If I spent six hours looking for every bolt that fell into parts unknown, I'd get nothing done. N8 and I just pick them up in the driveway later, or here them drop out as we head up the road. I've even lost a tool or two on occasion or found one lost by a previous owner.
              Of course, you bolt could have bounced off something, fell into the timing cover and will lock up the engine. [}]

Comment

I checked the socket too ... I know it will eventually show up, right
                after I replace it. During the 6 hours, I got a lot of cleaning done
                on the frame, caked on grease, and found out where my steering slop is
                at (center link) - so it wasnt all wasted. I even used a shiny bolt
                the same size & length and dropped it a few times in the same location
                it fell behind the crossmember twice, ontop of the crossmember 5 times
                and in front twice. Each time it was easy to spot. I really dont see
                any way that it could have got into the timing cover, but it worries
                me some. Yes, I AM obsessing over this. I guess I shouldnt worry too
                much, I have that other R1 incase this one explodes.[V][B)][xx(]

Tom

Comment

I think someone (to remain nameless) has put a voodoo curse on you.

If Edgar Cayce was still alive you could call him and he'd tell you where you dropped it. Of course, you might have imagined having it in the first place.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It is really odd. I always start with a clean work area, at least at
                    the area I am working, so that if something falls, I can find it. The
                    only thing I can think of is that the wife kicked it when she was on
                    her way out to take care of the rabbits. Though I searched all around
                    where it might have been kicked. I just dont get it.

I agree with the voodoo curse though, would explain the Camaro getting
                    wrecked on monday also.[V]

Tom

Comment

Try your magnet on the rabbits. If it sticks you know where the bolt went.
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Front block mount bracket? Lower control arm? Or inside the steering bellcrank crossmember?

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 Commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The only thing I can think of, it that it got kicked somewhere, or I
                          might have swept it up with the crud that fell off the car when I got
                          the fuel pump off. I put the pump back on tonight, and it fired up
                          without any trouble. I must have done it right. No fuel leaks, and
                          no oil leaks that I can see. I took the stainless cover off the back
                          over the distributor, and noticed that the oil pressure line was has
                          been leaking. It was in pretty sorry shape. I "borrowed" the one off
                          the R1 I picked up last month, and did a little reshaping to the box
                          to clear the hose better. Before you guys freak out, someone already
                          had cut the heck out of the stainless box. I cleaned up the edges, &
                          added a split rubber hose to the edge to protect the pressure line. I
                          decided to clean the carb, so I moved the air cleaner out of the way
                          and started cleaning, I must have bumped it, because suddenly there
                          was a HORRIBLE racket, and I ran to shut down the engine. I thought at
                          the moment that the bolt WAS in the timing cover - OMG! But it was the
                          air cleaning hitting the fan. Ha. I scared the crap out of myself.

Tom

Comment

Well, look at it this way Tom~ at least you didn't set your air cleaner on the ground/floor/whatever, and then RUN IT OVER- as I once did!!! [:0] [B)] [V] [xx(]

I hope your air cleaner isn't too banged up~~ Mine is now flat!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                            V/P San Diego County SDC
                            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Nah .. it got a couple scratches on the underside, not even a dent,
                              the Avanti has a viscous fan, so it was slowing down, which kinda
                              freaked me out more, since it sounded like the ENGINE was slowing!
                              The chrome on the air cleaner is toast anyway. I didnt bother to
                              rechrome it, since when I change over to the Edelbrock, I would be
                              able to use it (unless I swap the AFB top).

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X