Looking for a 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Looking for a 289

I just started working on my 49' c-cab pickup, and would like to find a 289 to replace the flathead 6. The transmission is a t-86, so I also need the bell housing to fit. I have a line on a 259, but would rather the bigger engine. Any help I can get on finding one will be appreciated. Over the coming months I'm sure I'll asking many questions here.

I can't help you find a 289, but allow me to be the first to welcome you to the four progress forum! Looking forward to hearing how project progresses!
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Thanks, I just got the engine/trans out today, and will be spending the winter on body work.

Comment

Originally posted by Grampaw View Post
        Thanks, I just got the engine/trans out today, and will be spending the winter on body work.
        Seeing where you live, I really hope you have a heated garage!
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

if you cant find a 289, the 259s are great engine. Many on this forum actually prefer them

I was looking for a 259 when I did my engine search, but ended up finding a 289 close to home. The closest 259 to me was over 500 miles at the time
          Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

I found a 259 with a t-85 about 200 miles away, he wants $1500 for both, but this build has been on my to do list for over 40 years, long before I found the truck, and I had always planned on the 289.

Comment

thats cool it you want the 289. . . . for $1500 I would be looking the other direction as well.
              Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

There is a long list of parts you need to get.
                I have a 61 "T" cab for sale with a 259 and non overdrive T85 $800.00
                Robert Kapteyn

http://www.studebakerstore.com/Stude...m/Welcome.html

Comment

Yes, you'll have a fun-to-drive pickup.

The most cost-effective way is to find a complete but rusted out truck with a 289" w/T85 overdrive. You'll need everything - radiator but from a '55 V8 (wish you were closer; I have a good one), front K-member, driveshaft, rear axle.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I brought a 289 from California to Iowa on my way to Minnesota in Sept....Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Grampaw: Note what PackardV8 said: the frame of a 49 2R is not set up for a V8. Midway through the 2R series, Studebaker modified the frame by deleting the engine-mount cross member and adding two diagonals instead, making a K shape. Dropping a V8 into a Stude truck originally equipped with a 6 is a lot easier if you have the right frame and all the associated additional parts. A V8 parts truck would be a big help.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
                        thats cool it you want the 289. . . . for $1500 I would be looking the other direction as well.
                        Finding a 259/289 is not a problem. Finding one that is ready to go into service is a whole nother story. "Ran when pulled" is a pig in a poke. Depending on the condition, it may be a bargain or a rip off. If it has fairly low miles (75,000 or less) on a recent rebuild, it may only need freshening up with new gaskets and seals; such being the case, $1500 is a great deal. If it is basically a core, then about $300-500 is fair. A quick way to determine condition and time since rebuilt is to pop a rear freeze plug. If there is crud in it, figure if rebuilt, it was a loooong time ago, and will probably need more than freshening up. If its clean, it bears further investigation.

The T85, if a good one is $400-1000. Similar to the motor, price depends on condition and history, but you definitely want the OD version. They are easy enough to check, by popping the side cover and looking & smelling inside. A quick dis-qualifier, if it smells of burnt oil, walk away.

For sure, you cannot rebuild a 259/289 for less than $2500, unless you cut some serious corners. Soda pops are no longer a dime, and parts & labor required for a rebuild have went up as well. So, condition of the above setup would determine who winds up laughing or crying later.

As for 259 v. 289, I'd put a 259 in a truck in a heartbeat.
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 11-14-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

One thing not to forget about when installing a V-8 in to a "C" cab is the water manifold it is special to trucks, right now I have the bell housing, motor mounts and T85 transmission but every thing is in California.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Just a thought.......The water manifold wouldn't be a factor if you ran an electric fan. Of course then you'd have to have a 12 volt system. I'm not aware of a 6 volt fan assembly but you never know!
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Are you looking for a core motor to rebuild or a running motor? I have a core motor out of a 62 hawk stuck but if your going to rebuild should be able to make a core out of it. Cheap let me know. If your not stuck on all Studebaker you can do a small block chev and 700r-4 for less.

Comment

Working...
                              X