Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1927 big six motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1927 big six motor

Trying to rebuild 1927 big six. Can't get pistions out the top. Rod is bigger than bor. Dose crank have to come out and pull pistions from bottom ?has any one rebuilt one?will need rod and crank bearings. Where can they be found?

Rod and crank bearings are poured babbitt. They are not shell bearings. Rods and block will have to go to a machine shop capable of pouring and line boring bearing material.

Terry

Comment

Fran,
      Your area of Pennsylvania, between the Susquehanna at Harrisburg and the Delaware at Trenton, is a boiling pot of activity in the Antique Studebaker Club.
      I can give you a list of members who have no doubt already done what you're attempting. Jerry Kurtz in Dover, PA, (717) 308-1800), known here to all, owned a machine shop and, I don't know if he's done any babbiting but, I'm certain he can point you in the best direction. Or Kent Haberle in New Cumberland, (717) 774-2795, George Rohrbach in Center Valley, (610) 282-1278. All three of these are members of the "Bored" of Directors for the ASC and within shouting distance of Allentown. Do join the ASC if you haven't already. http://theantiquestudebakerclub.com/
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The crank does not have to come out to remove pistons. There is sufficient clearance to remove them past the crank.

Terry

Comment

Thank you terry

Comment

Thank you brad, big help !

Comment

Thanks again terry, didn't want to remove the crank , but maybe i will have to. Check main bearings

Comment

Working...
              X