No announcement yet.

Borg Warner 3 spd. overdrive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Borg Warner 3 spd. overdrive.

Hi I currently have the engine and transmission out of my car . ( 1965 Commander v8) I am rebuilding the front end this winter and detailing the engine and transmission then reinstalling them. My question is what oil should I use in the transmission. There seems to be different opinions on what to use. Also is there other maintenance I should do while I have it out of the car. There are no issues with the transmission at this time. Thanks

After reading several posts on the forum and in Turning Wheels, I used Valvoline 40 weight oil. There is also some Lucas oil treatment in mine, but I think it is causing the trans to shift a bit stiff until it warms up. After I drive a few miles the transmission shifts fine.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I've used straight 30 weight oil in my '55 Speedster 3spd o/d trans & o/d case with good results over the years.

Comment

NAPA has SAE 90 mineral gear oil which is recommended for OD transmissions.

Comment

....I hope those above that are using "motor oil" are filling the OD tranny with NON-Detergent !

Comment

The correct lubricant is 90 wt gear oil WITHOUT sulfur-laden friction modifiers.

In other words, use GL-1 or 40 weight engine oil.

Do not use GL-4/GL-5.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thicker oils work OK in this type of tranny....unless the car is used in very cold weather, which creates a 'sluggish shift' condition till the motor and tranny warm up. Interesting to note that more modern standard transmissions use automatic transmission fluid as the factory recommended lube!

Comment

You mention "...use in the transmission." For readers of this thread, I want to mention that the transmission and overdrive units are separate and need to be filled (and drained) separately. (I am sure that someone will chime in if my memory is incorrect on this for this unit.)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  You mention "...use in the transmission." For readers of this thread, I want to mention that the transmission and overdrive units are separate and need to be filled (and drained) separately. (I am sure that someone will chime in if my memory is incorrect on this for this unit.)
                  You are correct.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

But they are not separated, oil flows between them in service. They must be drained and filled separately.

Comment

For about 10 years now, I have been using Red Line MT90 in the T85s, after reading Ted Harbit's comments that it helps with smooth, rapid shifts. I like that it shifts easily whether hot or cold, with no grinding (long as I shift it correctly).

Similarly, I have been using STP power steering fluid in both Saginaw and Bendix systems since 1997. That began when a fellow Stude guy out in Fresno, whose opinion I respected, told me about it. As he promised, it produces smoother, quieter operation, without any drawbacks.

IMHO, oil and lube technology has came a long way since our Studes were born, and there's nothing wrong with judicious use of that technology.

Comment

Thanks for your help it is appreciated

Comment

Working...
                        X