Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

what would you do? 232 or 169?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: what would you do? 232 or 169?

my 52 needs a rebuild i found one of my cyl only has about 10 lbs of compression.
    Now i have a 232 currently stuck supposed to be rebuilt years ago and never ran.

So do I see if I can save the 232? and use that engine? or redo the 169 and tweak that one out. Would I need a different transmission For the 232?

Who do I take an stude engine in Minneapolis to get good work from?
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Yes, even a 232" V8 is a huge step up from the 169" Champion.

Yes, you'll need a T86 overdrive transmission.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

On one hand the word..."stuck"...is a scarry word.
      It can be as simple as one stuck pistin ring, to a frozen wrist pin, to a frozen valve.

Like Jack, most definatly go for the 232. BUT....DO NOT try to "unstick" it with a wrench. If the crank won't turn with about 50ft.lb. worth of turning force, then by ALL means, take the engine apart...
      This way, you'll find the problem and fix it the "correct" way...NOT just by force..!
      In doing this the correct way, you'll also be able to check everything in the engine and make any bad stuff...right...!
      And in doing this...the correct way, it should provide you with top notch service and a fun car to drive.

Remember, "short cutting" things like this...will only end up biting in the butt on down the road. Do it the right way.

Mike

Comment

Ok so a T86 trans what about the rest of the drive train will the rear end be ok and that tiny drive shaft I have?

Also what cars has the T86?
        how do i identify one?
        sigpic
        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
        Shakopee Mn.
        952-445-3281

Comment

Stick with the six and get it rebuild.
          There is a long list of parts you need to switch.
          That will cost you more than fixing your six.
          Members of the Minnesota crowd can tell you where to take your engine.
          Attend the upcoming meet at Menomonie .
          Join the North Star Chapter
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?83414-2014-Zone-Meet-Schedule-Information
          Robert Kapteyn
          Last edited by rkapteyn; 09-14-2014, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I have to agree with Bob. If you have not already been contemplating a switch to the V-8, and all the little details involved, you will be better served to overhaul the Six.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

My vote is to fix the six. Converting a Champion to Commander power, requires heavier front suspension, and other modifications that make the project much more involved than bolting in a bigger engine. If you want more power...fix the six, sell it to some one who would like to have it...and use that money (perhaps you'll need a bit more), and buy a V8 Studebaker. It's part of that game in life we all play. Years from now, you too can talk about a Studebaker you "used to own." (Wish you hadn't sold)
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

ok ill fix up the 6
                sigpic
                I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                Shakopee Mn.
                952-445-3281

Comment

Nothing like a V-8.

Comment

It doesn't matter what it takes... go with the V/8!

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                      Nothing like a V-8.
                      sals54

Comment

Unless you want to race it , the six is more than you need for a Sunday drive.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I agree with Sal, but it depends on how you would like to use the car, what your budget is, and how important originality is to you. One option is to locate a donor car with a V8. In your neck of the woods you may be able to find a later model V8 car that has rust issues but still has a good drive train. You would then be able able to swap everything you need over to your 52. You can end up with V8 power, heavier duty springs, bigger brakes and a rear axle suited to the V8. That is what I am doing with my '54 wagon, it will have all the underpinnings of a '64 Cruiser when I am done. If you buy right, you can even come out ahead of the game money wise if there are parts from the donor and your '52 that you don't need and can sell.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Everything that has been said about the V8 being the long run "BEST" choice is very true.

However I am guessing, that just maybe you are not into heavy wrenching yourself? This will be a Big problem with some of this advice.

The cost of PAYING to do a conversion, while worth it in satisfaction down the road many years, will not be a financially responsible choice.

Starter List:

A complete V8 Engine 232, 259 or 289

Clutch housing with all clutch linkage

Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc and throwout Brg. in usable cond.

Transmission T-86 Short Tail with Overdrive, 1951 to 1957

Two Piece V8 Overdrive Driveshaft for correct wheelbase

A '49 to '52 Commander V8 Dana 44 Rear Axle with the compatible to engine size axle ratio 3.73, 4.09, 4.56?

Commander V8 Front Springs

All 4 Wheel Units of '54 to '66 V8 Brakes with Drums.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                            X