Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

I need a pair of good used rear hubs for a '54 to '64 Studebaker Dana 44 axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: I need a pair of good used rear hubs for a '54 to '64 Studebaker Dana 44 axle

I need a pair of good used hubs for a '54 to '64 Studebaker Dana 44 axle. Mine are badly cracked apparently from improper installation of the axle keys. The Studebaker part number is 533901. Please email me
    at brngarage@gmail.com or call me at (818) 606-0267 between 8:30 AM and 9:30 PM Pacific time.
    Thanks
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Me too...good luck in finding them. I haven't been able to find any. Let me know if you locate more than two for yourself.

Comment

If y'all have no luck finding them, Mike Super posted a year or so ago on how he'd successfully used front hubs off of late 1960s Mustang. If you do a search in the archives here you can probably find it. Seemed fairly simple, and the Mustang drums are common as house flies at FLAPS.

Comment

IT's hubs you need and not drums, right? I think I may have a set. Let me know and I will go dig in the "magic bus"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          If y'all have no luck finding them, Mike Super posted a year or so ago on how he'd successfully used front hubs off of late 1960s Mustang. If you do a search in the archives here you can probably find it. Seemed fairly simple, and the Mustang drums are common as house flies at FLAPS.

He used Mustang FRONT hubs on the REAR of a Studebaker?

Howard, you should magnaflux the axles, especially by the tapered end of the keyway away from the nut. My theory is that improper key insertion, especially when it damages the hubs, also cracks the axle. The cracked axle can look good and run good until it breaks off without warning.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Is it improper key insertion, or too much popping the clutch? I'd think the latter would be much harder on the hubs. How does on insert the key improperly anyway?

Comment

I don't think its improper key insertion as much as it is lubing the axle and running the hub to far up the taper and cracking it at its weakest point which is the key slot. At least that's what I think happened to mine because there was still lube residue in the hub. I had them machine shop repaired because I couldn't find any but I don't fully trust them.

Comment

I cracked one by installing the key on first and having it on the taper to far. As the hub was torqued on the axle the key split the hub.
                I would think hubs would be easy to find. I have several sets I've kept from parts cars.

Comment

What happens is if the key is inserted too far to begin with then the nut is torqued down then the key pushes up in the slot. Or, the key is inserted backwards and then the hub is drawn in and again the key pushes up in the slot and cracks the hub.

The way I was taught, don't know from who or where but it just seems it's the way I remember it, is to use the key to locate the hub the tighten down the hub against the axle tapper. Once it it seated the key is driven home to be flush with the hub by tightening the nut. If it is torqued more than spec, grease is used, the key is loose or goes in further than flush then something will usually go wrong.

Len.

Comment

I have a pair of hubs courtesy of Skybolt (Len). I'll install them in a couple of days (very carefully and correctly).
                    Thanks everyone and especially Len.
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Your welcome Howard, anything I can to keep our Studes running, on the road, and moving forward.

Len.

Comment

I have a set of hubs, backer plates, good drums, and axel's if anyone needs .disc's all around. I also Have the front backer plates and drums if anyone is interested

Comment

This maybe the right thread to teach new comer to Studes about the proper installation of the rear drums.
                          Many found that the tapered drums are a pain to pull and reason that if they put some "Neverseize" or other lubricant on the taper that they will come off easier the next time. DON'T!!.
                          If you lubricate the taper and you pull up the nut,the drum and hub keeps going up
                          the taper and split the hub.
                          If you need hubs , I have plenty on good used drums and some N.O.S.
                          While you are at it replace your tapered axles with flanged ones from Fairborn.
                          The life you save maybe your own!!
                          http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/07featprod1.htm

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I recently came back from South Bend. Met a guy with unbelievable stash of Stude parts. Picked up a good hub and he had several. He will ship.
                            Studebaker parts:
                            Tom Karkiewicz
                            62503 Mulberry Rd.
                            South Bend, In 46614
                            Ph. 574 287 5834
                            sigpicJohn Esmonde
                            Holland Landing, Ontario
                            Canada
                            \'62 Hawk
                            \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
                            \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

SI still has NOS hubs for some models.....

Comment

Working...
                              X