Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Clearance tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Clearance tolerance?

In the main and rod bearings my Chilton book calls for .0015 oil clearance. I suppose this is the minimum on assembly? How much is still good allowing for wear?
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 08-22-2014, 05:32 PM.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Which engine?

Comment

64 259 full flow.

Comment

In the main and rod bearings my Chilton book calls for .0015 oil clearance.
        All the interesting stuff you do and you're using Chilton as your engine building reference? C'mon, spring for a copy of the Studebaker Shop Manual - .0005"-.0025" mains and .0005"-.002" on the rods.

FWIW, an engine worn to the upper limits is going to have lower hot oil pressure than I like to see.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

It's interesting to me that Chilton's survived and MOTORS did not. MOTORS is the best by far, IMO and Chilton's is riddled with mistakes. Although the older Chilton's had lots of cool short cut tips.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

As Jack says, the Stude "book" sounds like the one to follow.
            Though .0005" sounds a "tad" too tight, the .0025"/.002" is more higher rpm, race clearance.

While all above will work, something in the .0015 to .002" (rod and main) range sounds great to me.
            And as Jack notes, looser clearances will give slightly lower oil pressure shown on the gage, but it' should only be a couple of pounds, nothing to worry about.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              All the interesting stuff you do and you're using Chilton as your engine building reference? C'mon, spring for a copy of the Studebaker Shop Manual - .0005"-.0025" mains and .0005"-.002" on the rods.

FWIW, an engine worn to the upper limits is going to have lower hot oil pressure than I like to see.

jack vines
              You callin' me a CASO? Guilty.

Actually I am just trying to sell some parts and wanted to figure out how worn they are. For actual rebuilding and such I rely on my best friend who owns the best automotive machine shop around these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                As Jack says, the Stude "book" sounds like the one to follow.
                Though .0005" sounds a "tad" too tight, the .0025"/.002" is more higher rpm, race clearance.

While all above will work, something in the .0015 to .002" (rod and main) range sounds great to me.
                And as Jack notes, looser clearances will give slightly lower oil pressure shown on the gage, but it' should only be a couple of pounds, nothing to worry about.

Mike
                Thanks Mike. Although overly simplified perhaps the Chilton's was right in the middle of the tolerances I see being bandied around here, if I understand it correctly.

Comment

I only make this a point because my high school shop instructor always did (and so in Mr. Pohl's honor):

Clearance is the designed (intentional) difference between parts.

Tolerance is the difference between ideal and acceptable.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

You know now that you mention it I believe I did hear that in shop class too!

Comment

Working...
                    X