No announcement yet.

Which Clutch and Pressure Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we are asking exactly the SAME thing Joe, what Pressure does this AMC Jeep pressure Plate actually have? Said in one relatively short sentence.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I got a call back from AMS this morning. The AMS 01-505 pressure plate has 12 springs and is 1800 lbs. so its nearly identical to the R1/R2 part. I hope to get it installed in the next week. I'll report back on how it works.

Comment

That sounds like it would be a good H.D. Replacement for Larks/Hawks and a perfect replacement for Jet Thrust and Avanti Engines. The only thing we have not yet determined is if the Clutch Disc. Hub is a 10 Spline like most, but since I think most older Jeeps had Borg Warner transmissions it SHOULD be good.

Thanks a lot for the 01-505 Part Number, most of us with 289's or "faster" 259's should be able to order one if yours works good. Definitely Machine the Flywheel and get a New Stude. Throw out Brg.

UPDATE: I just enlarged their Pic and counted 10 Splines!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-25-2014, 02:48 PM.
        StudeRich

Comment

I have found a reman Borg & Beck, 10 1/2" with 9 springs (red) + 3 empties, anybody know if it is HD or Std? I cannot get any specs from the seller (he doesn't know), reman was KPC CA1588. Comments please.

Comment

Nine springs is going to be very near Std. = 1456 Lbs.
            That CA1588 is a Borg & Beck Number, why not research it?

So you have not ordered this one YET?

http://www.amsautomotive.com/AMS/Tem...8&KITID=01-505
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-30-2014, 03:13 PM.
            StudeRich

Comment

CA-1588 is a 10.5 inch B & B style, listed only for H.D. 1962-64 Chevrolet applications, 2235 lbs. Probably a little strong for casual everyday street driving.
              This information from my 1983 Rayloc remanufactured clutch assembly catalog - lots of great info in it!

Comment

Jerry, Thanks for that info.

Comment

I ended up getting the AMS 01-505 clutch and pressure plate installed this summer. I was able to put a few hundred miles on it before I put it away for the winter.

I can report that its a direct bolt in replacement. The clutch works great and the pedal pressure is similar to a standard stock clutch. The adjustment was a little long, but I switched to an Avanti rod which is longer.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I called AMS and the AMS 10-505 is no longer available. The tech guy said the recommended replacement would be AMS 01-026A. This is a diaphragm type pressure plate 2100 #. Do not know if the throwout bearing will work. A search indicates it is available at various retailers.

Comment

Working...
                    X