Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

259 to 289 How To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 259 to 289 How To

My new purchase of a 62 lark has a "rebuilt engine" with "30,000 miles". On close inspection the serial # is a 259 but the V has been punched over with a P. It seems the rebuild change the displacement to 298. Also the heads are from an Avanti R-1......but with dish pistons and no evidence so far of a R-1 Cam.....
    I would like to know how to change the original 259 to a 289. Also.....does the 1557570 head have bigger valves? Any difference other than displacement between standard 259 heads and the R-1 heads?

If you have dished pistons, they were standard on a 289. The main difference is the stroke (crankshaft)
    Measure your stroke, yours may already be a 289. All Stude and Avantis have the same heads from 55 till end. Except for the R3 & R4s . There are minor differences in combustion chamber, sizes. Truck , export low compression, and R2's had larger combustion chambers for low compression. The valve sizes and ports WERE THE SAME.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To clarify, ALL 55 to 64 heads (no matter the casting number) have "basically" the same intake and exhaust ports and valve sizes, unless they are the R3 or R4 versions...which are rare and expensive.
      I say basically because the cores for the ports may have changed "slightly" over the years of making heads. Just figure that they are all the same. In all the heads I've ported, I've seen no difference that can be seen with the naked eye.

If you want to convert to the R3 valve size, most any shop can do this for you, but remember that some carefull port/pocket work needs to be done to go with the larger valve to gain the advantage of the larger valve.
      Also, ONLY the intake should be enlarged. Leave the exhaust valve the diameter it currently is. That's one of the things that the Stude engineers got wrong.

Mike

Comment

The difference between a 259 and a 289 is the crankshaft and the pistons. Everything else is the same. I'm not talking about the super motors, just the plain vanilla 259 and 289.

Pistons and crank. That's all.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

It seems the rebuild change the displacement to 298.
          That would indicate a .060" overbore, which would also slightly raise the compression. It really needs nothing to be an excellent driver.

FWIW, the R1 cam only raises horsepower in the 3,000 RPM and up range. Below that, it costs horsepower, torque and fuel economy. To get the maximum benefit, the compression needs to be 9.5, better ignition system and better intake.

Speaking of intake, most 259"s were 2-bbl and single exhaust. You didn't mention which you have at present. Converting to 4-bbl and dual exhaust is certainly worth the effort, but it's difficult to imagine anyone building a 299" and not already having done so.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

You already HAVE a probably 225 HP or more 289 or 298 so just DRIVE it.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo Tom View Post
              On close inspection the serial # is a 259 but the V has been punched over with a P........ and no evidence so far of a R-1 Cam.......

Stamping the block's pad is something I should do with my Lark's 259 "V" that I rebuilt as a 299 ci R1. I would have a hard time believing that someone would go to the trouble of replacing the 259 crank with a 289 crank/pistons and not put a R1/R2++ cam in it,... but then you never know what was laying around when he rebuilt it.

Have fun and drive it!

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

That is what I was thinking. If the builder changed it to a 289 (sorry, I miss stated the numbers earlier) then R-1 heads and no cam makes no sense. Also, the two into one exhaust make it even more unbelievable; with a four barrel!! I'm thinking on taking the heads off and putting a set from a '62 289 on. It should do good with the four barrel and dual exhaust. I can build an R-1 for another project of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo Tom View Post
                  I'm thinking on taking the heads off and putting a set from a '62 289 on.
                  One more time - the heads are all the same. Nothing other than a good valve job to be gained by removing them.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Most if not all 62-64 259 engines ran the heads with the casting number ending 70 and that is the same head used on some trucks and the Avanti r-1 engines and the gasket make some of the difference in the compression on the R-1 engine also i have seen 70 heads on hawks along with the 55 head, most trucks with the 289 used the 82 head same as the R-2 but again the head gasket makes most of the difference, all this with stock heads, worked heads is a different ball game some what.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

I have seen where an engine has had a cracked block the internals were switched into the most available good block. 259 engines are way easier to find at a bargain price.
                      StudeRick & Johna
                      Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1963 Avanti
                      1961 Lark Wagon
                      1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Is there a way to advance the cam on a stude V8? And how do they like it if it can. Small block chev's love 4* advance no matter what cam you put in them and most cams grinder now are grinding it right in to the cam to start with and all you have to do is check with a degree wheel to see if it's where it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Studerick64 View Post
                          I have seen where an engine has had a cracked block the internals were switched into the most available good block. 259 engines are way easier to find at a bargain price.
                          And they're actually a smoother running engine, capable of higher revs if modified.

Comment

Working...
                          X