Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

56 wagon door glass questions PLEASE help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 56 wagon door glass questions PLEASE help!

When I bought my 56 2-door wagon, I was told there was NO door glass. When I got in the door taking the car apart, I found that there was door glass. It had fallen in the bottom of the door, broke, and was wedged tight in the door by the bent up regulator assemblies.
    The channels the glass presses into were destroyed, as were the regulators.

When I took the old channels and regulators out, I had no way to tell how everything was supposed to go together, but I am thinking they had the channels in backwards, there is a 1/4 metal round bar welded to the channels. They had theses faceing the BACK of the door.

I just opened my new glass from sanders, and the correct glass appears to be relieved at the FRONT for this bar. I will attach pictures.
    Also, the new channels from stude intl. appear to be side specific, but I dont know which one goes on which side. I have part # 310164, and 310165. Which one is left and right?

I have new nurelic regulators to install, so I want to get it right the first time.

I assume the round bar part needs to be in line with either the front edge or the rear edge of the glass, and ride in the u channel?
    The way the glass is cut, I think its bar to the front?
    Help a frustrated hobbyist get this done right!

I am guessing this is how it mounts;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	assembly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1744410

^^^ this is backwards to how they were attached to the old glass in the car. BUT the glass is cut so the bar will fit in a low spot to the bottom front edge of the glass shown here;

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1744411

And finally, which mounting channel part fits which side?

Name:	part id.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1744412

I will sit here and press "refesh" till you experts set me on the right path I guess the garage will cool down a little as the sun is setting!

In the world of Studebaker parts, if the parts are a left and right, then the left side part will end in an odd number and the right side will end in the even number.
    The round bar guide faces forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      In the world of Studebaker parts, if the parts are a left and right, then the left side part will end in an odd number and the right side will end in the even number.
      The round bar guide faces forward.

Look at this guy.......^^^^^
      Answered ALL of my rambling questions with two simple sentences!

Thank you very much! Back to the garage for me!

Comment

Good luck avoiding the Constables with that illegal Glass!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Good luck avoiding the Constables with that illegal Glass!
          I live in a state that allows tinted glass, and does NOT allow marijuana use. Funny how some states get their priorities fouled up huh?
          Last edited by AC0J; 08-02-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Looks like what we called when I lived in Phoenix. Az legal glass. You could only have the real dark on the back glass and rear windows.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              Looks like what we called when I lived in Phoenix. Az legal glass. You could only have the real dark on the back glass and rear windows.
              That is how most of the central states do it!

Comment

Ditto in Western Canada. 15% tint on front and front side glass, dark allowed on rear ones.

Comment

These appear to be the Front Door Glass, the ones that when BLACK you can't tell what kind of person is driving, where he or she is looking, guess what they are about to do (maybe Shoot you!) or what, it is no wonder it is or should be, illegal in ALL States.
                  I thought the National DOT controls that, so it can't happen legally no matter what the States say.

If I had MY way, I would take care of all those, AND the blazing Blue/Super White Gas Headlights that blind everyone within 2 hundred feet across the Road for 300 feet, with a BB or Pellet Gun!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X