Got turn signals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got turn signals!

I did a fairly easy turn signal surgery on my 51 Champion this weekend. My car was not originally sold with turn signals, and I explored both original parts and after-market. I have never been able to find the original turn signal handle/switch that fits the small diameter steering column ( the "Custom" version had a much narrower steering column than the other 51's). I have a used one for the larger column (free to good home if anyone wants it!).

Anyway, I purchased a Signal Stat after-market unit that fit well, includes a flasher & harness, and is discreet enough to not be obtrusive... you hardly see it. It even includes pilot lights and an emergency flasher.

Works great and for only $37 invested, I am very pleased.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

What no Pictures?

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anne - do you want pictures of the turn signal light "on" or "off"? I'll have to time it carefully... Just kidding. I'll see if I can take a picture of the unit. It's not that much to look at, but it works well. I'll also post a picture of my old/original TS switch (that doesn't fit) to see if anyone wants it.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Anne, Is there a small cap on the left side of the post? It's held in place with two screws. If Yes, remove the cap and look in side, turn the wheel back and forth, can you see a little ring with acouple of tabs? If so, the 47-49 signal light control should work. The '47-'49 control switch worked on a'42

Comment

I've got the the removable cap, and the cancelling tabs inside... I just can't find the switch for the small diameter column. I will look at/for a 47-49, thanks. Meanwhile, the SignalStat works great and isn't very noticeable. My restoration is not exact and I'm not aiming for show points, so that's not a big issue.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

have been trying to get front signals for my 55 champion to work. so far I have discovered that all the wires from the top of the steering column to just under the dash need to be replaced. they are not insulated enough.{read old and cracked] has anyone had to run new wires and know of an easy way to run new wires? should I solder new wires on the old and just pull?

Comment

Use the existing wires as pullers... whether you solder or use another method is up to you, as soldered connections may not hold (depending how hard you pull). Other idea, remove all old wires except one, and use one puller for your new "harness" of connected wires. Consider using a wire-pulling lube on the new wires.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I've got an extra T/S switch for the early cars, needs rewired though.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks , Ragtop, I think my switch is okay. will take the steering wheel off this afternoon and check to be sure. The insulation is a little dry and crackly,so I don't want to take a chance of a possible short. My car did not have turn signals in the front lite. they were only parking lites unless specifically ordered.

Comment

Working...
                  X