Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

New Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: New Gauges

Gentlemen, I am looking at adding external Temp and Oil pressure gauges to my 54 Commander W/259 and GM 700R auto trans. Car is essentially 6v but with a 12v starting system.
    What are most of you using other than the stock Stude gauges? Should I just go to my local FLAPS and get off the shelf gauges?

Thank You:

Mark

Get manual gauges. then you don't have to worry about 6 or 12 volts.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Yep that's the answer
      Thanks Jerry

Comment

The Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendors.com all stock the Neoprene Flex Hose you will need to go from the rear of the Right Cyl. Head to the copper rubber covered line to the dash for a "Real" Pressure Gauge. Stewart Warner are always the best as were the original Gauges.

You could modify the Bezels and install some aftermarket Gauges in the dash so you do not have to hang them crudely under the dash. OR, NOS Original Manual Oil Pressure Gauges are available.

The Original Temp. Gauge should also work if you have 6 Volts available as you said, probably for the Fuel Gauge, Fans, Horn, Radio, Lights etc.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I will probably using auto meter gauges, or other gauges made in the US.

Question. What is the length of the cable on your 700 r (shifting cable).

Patrick.

Comment

Manual gauges won't work...you have to move them by hand. Try mechanical, rather than electrical, gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by MPallock View Post
              Gentlemen, I am looking at adding external Temp and Oil pressure gauges to my 54 Commander W/259 and GM 700R auto trans. Car is essentially 6v but with a 12v starting system.
              What are most of you using other than the stock Stude gauges? Should I just go to my local FLAPS and get off the shelf gauges?

Thank You:

Mark
              Looks like you are already modified? I know yours is 54, but the same gauge space is available. This is what I used. These are 2 5/8 gauges. Not a good pic. But good as I can do.

Last edited by Flashback; 07-21-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I found North Hollywood Speedometer will custom install VDO gauges to fit the original slots in the dash. A bit pricey but should be real nice when done . I will post pictures when done.

Patrick I will make a measurement and post it

Thanks
                Mark

Comment

Cable length 700R trans

Originally posted by nibbs53 View Post
                  I will probably using auto meter gauges, or other gauges made in the US.

Question. What is the length of the cable on your 700 r (shifting cable).

Patrick.
                  Patrick

Finally had a chance to measure shifting cable length of my 700R.

It is 42" I can if you wish post a pic of how it is connected to the carb.

Regards Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MPallock View Post
                    Patrick

Finally had a chance to measure shifting cable length of my 700R.

It is 42" I can if you wish post a pic of how it is connected to the carb.

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark, appreciate it. A few pictures would be fine if not too much trouble.

Thanks again Mark Patrick.

Comment

Working...
                    X