Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champ 6 electrical woes

Hi,
    I'm Sid and I do what I can to keep our three Studes( 2r hot rod, 62 GT Hawk and 50 Champ) running.
    Our 50 is mostly original except occasional upgrades in wiring
    and an optima as someone else here mentioned.
    Here's the fun part; something is making a bad arcing sort of sound around the starter solenoid, the battery overheats and fails to three volts and wont charge above that. The shop has replaced two batteries for me graciously but is starting to give me odd looks.
    What's a good reading on the solenoid?
    how does one remove the starter? The manual says something about removing the gauge tube and that didn't seem to make enough space
    before the distributer.
    Is there something that could short to ground and overheat the battery?
    I can not vouch for the wiring at this point so I am open to ideas.
    Thanks for keeping this club great.

Alana Snyder,
    Starlite S'coupe,
    San Diego SDC

I can think of a number of things that could cause arcing around the starter - including the starter itself. Have you had someone crank the car while you actually watched the starter? Loose or shorted windings INSIDE the starter, brushes worn completely away so that only the ends of the brush wires were touching the commutator...
    Does the battery lead spark the moment you put it on the battery? That would be a dead short, but I'd think that in that instance it wouldn't be but a very short time before there'd be no response at all to the starter switch.
    The front end of that starter should swing outward a bit as you start to extract it from it's hole. The distributor shouldn't be in the way.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr.Biggs! You were right on about pulling that starter.
      I wasn't reaching for the plasma cutter yet but....

Alana Snyder,
      Starlite S'coupe,
      San Diego SDC

Comment

Working...
      X